- Oct 9, 1979
- Des Moines, Iowa
Not unlike the character that would catapult his acting career, Brandon Routh was born in a rural state on October 9th, 1979, far from the bright lights of Hollywood. Raised in the Des Moines suburb of Norwalk, IA, Routh discovered his love of acting in high school when he began participating in community theater at the Norwalk Theater of the Performing… More Bio:
Not unlike the character that would catapult his acting career, Brandon Routh was born in a rural state on October 9th, 1979, far from the bright lights of Hollywood. Raised in the Des Moines suburb of Norwalk, IA, Routh discovered his love of acting in high school when he began participating in community theater at the Norwalk Theater of the Performing Arts. After graduation, he enrolled at the University of Iowa intending to study English. His desire to begin his career was too much to resist, however, and he left after a year to see what opportunities might await him on the West Coast.
Routh began paying his dues with appearances on Odd Man Out, Undressed, and Gilmore Girls. In 2002, he completed a year-long stint on the soap opera One Life to Live, continuing to make single-episode appearances over the next few years on popular shows like Cold Case, Will & Grace, and Oliver Beene.
Then, around 2004, Routh auditioned for the one of the most sought-after roles of the decade: Superman. The upcoming relaunch of the Superman franchise had been through copious adjustments and would still see more, and Routh originally auditioned for director McG, who was signed to the film at the time. Numerous directors had, in fact, been tied to the film over a period of development that would take over ten years to come to fruition. By the time Superman Returns would go into production, the names Tim Burton, Wolfgang Petersen, Brett Ratner, Shekhar Kapur, and more had been officially or unofficially linked to the film. Just as many actors were considered for the leading role, both legitimately and in rumor, from Nicolas Cage in the early stages to actors like Jake Gyllenhaal, Ashton Kutcher, and Josh Hartnett more recently.
When director Bryan Singer was secured as director, however, he wanted the Man of Steel to be a fresh face. Impressed by the performance Routh had given in his audition for McG, as well as the young actor's uncanny resemblance to both the classic depictions of Superman and the late Christopher Reeve, who'd immortalized the hero in earlier films, Routh was eventually offered the part. Routh took on a small supporting role in director Kevin Smiths racy 2008 comedy Zack and Miri Make a Porno, and appeared in the crime drama Life is Hot in Crackdown in 2009. The actor joined the cast of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) to portray one of Ramona Flowers' seven ex-boyfriends.
Brandon Routh Videos
- Tommy Flanagan (50 years old)
- Kinji Fukasaku (85 years old)
- Patrick Wilson (42 years old)
- Shoshannah Stern (35 years old)
- Andrea Barber (39 years old)
- Corey Sevier (31 years old)
- Ludivine Sagnier (36 years old)
- Michele Soavi (58 years old)
- Kurtwood Smith (72 years old)
- Yeardley Smith (51 years old)
- Ryan McPartlin (40 years old)
- Matt Schulze (43 years old)
- Tom Cruise (53 years old)
- Nathalia Ramos (23 years old)
- Brandon Jay McLaren (34 years old)
- Gedeon Burkhard (46 years old)
- Bolo Yeung (77 years old)
- Hunter Tylo (53 years old)
- Connie Nielsen (50 years old)
- Shawnee Smith (45 years old)
- Audra McDonald (45 years old)
- Tom Curren (51 years old)
- Thomas Gibson (53 years old)
- Jan Smithers (66 years old)
- See more (24)