- Jan 8, 1951
A master craftsman notable for his almost Hitchcockian ability to create suspense and keep action moving at an exhilarating pace, director John McTiernan began his involved with theatrical arts early in life. His father was an opera singer, and McTiernan made his theatrical debut at age seven playing bit roles in his father's shows. After high school he… More Bio:
A master craftsman notable for his almost Hitchcockian ability to create suspense and keep action moving at an exhilarating pace, director John McTiernan began his involved with theatrical arts early in life. His father was an opera singer, and McTiernan made his theatrical debut at age seven playing bit roles in his father's shows. After high school he became involved with summer stock, where he directed, acted, and designed until attended Julliard and New York University, where he studied film. He then became designer and technical director at the Manhattan School of Music.
McTiernan went on to make over 200 television commercials before making his feature film debut by directing the fantasy horror movie Nomads (1985). He followed that up with Predator (1987), a sci-fi action film featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger that spawned a franchise.
In 1988, McTiernan helmed his best-known film, the blockbuster Die Hard. Starring Bruce Willis, the film was a hit with both audiences and critics and would become one of the most influential action films ever made, inspiring countless "Die Hard in a [Blank]" followers.
In the wake of Die Hard, McTiernan scored another hit with 1990's The Hunt for Red October, the first in a series of films based on Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series. However, his luck would change with 1992's Medicine Man and get even worse with 1993's Last Action Hero, a post-modern action fantasy regarded as one of the decade's biggest flops.
To get Last Action Hero's taste out of his mouth, McTiernan returned to familiar territory in 1995, helming Die Hard with a Vengeance, the third in the series. It proved to be another hit, but McTiernan's career hit the skids over the next decade, with films like The 13th Warrior and Rollerball filling his resume.
The Die Hard series proved yet again to be McTiernan's lucky-charm in 2007, when the series' fourth outing scored at the box-office.
John McTiernan Videos
- Billy Gilman (27 years old)
- Nell Campbell (62 years old)
- Déborah François (28 years old)
- Cayden Boyd (21 years old)
- Bryan Greenberg (37 years old)
- John C. Reilly (50 years old)
- Bob Dylan (74 years old)
- Seijun Suzuki (92 years old)
- Ray Stevenson (51 years old)
- Dash Mihok (41 years old)
- Cecilia Cheung (35 years old)
- Alfred Molina (62 years old)
- Eric Close (48 years old)
- Tommy Chong (77 years old)
- Doug Jones (55 years old)
- Jim Broadbent (66 years old)
- Gary Burghoff (72 years old)
- Patti LaBelle (71 years old)
- Jean-Pierre Bacri (64 years old)
- Michael Lonsdale (84 years old)
- Kristin Scott Thomas (55 years old)
- Sybil Danning (68 years old)
- Will Sasso (40 years old)
- Priscilla Presley (70 years old)
- See more (24)