- Apr 24, 1982
- Fort Worth, Texas, USA
The winner of Fox TV's first American Idol: The Search for a Superstar competition during the summer of 2002, Kelly Clarkson went from an anonymous talent to a nationally known singer, performing for an audience of millions of viewers. One of the show's most naturally gifted singers, the 20-year-old Burleson, TX, native's vocal talents were discovered… More Bio:
The winner of Fox TV's first American Idol: The Search for a Superstar competition during the summer of 2002, Kelly Clarkson went from an anonymous talent to a nationally known singer, performing for an audience of millions of viewers. One of the show's most naturally gifted singers, the 20-year-old Burleson, TX, native's vocal talents were discovered when she was in seventh grade, when her school's choir teacher heard her singing and urged Clarkson to join the choir. After high school, Clarkson cultivated her voice and went to Hollywood to make her name; she appeared as an extra on an episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but no other opportunities materialized.
Upon returning to Burleson, Clarkson worked at a movie theater, promoted Red Bull energy drinks, and ultimately worked as a cocktail waitress at a comedy club before entering the American Idol contest. One of 10,000 aspiring singers, Clarkson distinguished herself not only with her big, surprisingly mature voice, but also with her down-to-earth charm and sense of humor; at one of her auditions, she switched places with judge Randy Jackson, who did an impromptu version of R. Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly." Over the course of the 13-week show, her consistently strong performances of songs like "Respect," "Natural Woman," "Stuff Like That There," and "Without You" earned Clarkson enough audience votes to claim one of the contest's two finalist positions. After singing "A Moment Like This" and "Before Your Love," both of which were written for the show, Clarkson won the American Idol contest with 58 percent of the audience's votes. In addition to the show's prize of one million dollars and a recording contract with RCA, Clarkson secured a deal with Creative Artists Agency and several bookings, including the national American Idol tour and a performance of the national anthem at the September 11 commemoration at Washington, D.C.'s Lincoln Memorial.
Despite her newfound fame, Clarkson opted to remain in Texas rather than move to New York or Los Angeles. She would try a modest hand at acting in movies like the notorious From Justin to Kelly and on shows like American Dreams, but Clarkston would mostly remain a force in the realm of music.
Singles like "A Moment Like This", "Because of You", "Behind These Hazel Eyes,", "Since U Been Gone", "Never Again", "My Life Would Suck Without You", and "Mr. Know It All" would keep the diva at the forefront of contemporary vocal music.
Kelly Clarkson Videos
- Jim Van Bebber (51 years old)
- Karine Vanasse (32 years old)
- Garret Dillahunt (51 years old)
- Rudolf Klein-Rogge (127 years old)
- Billy Connolly (73 years old)
- Amol Palekar (71 years old)
- Alain Chabat (57 years old)
- Stephen Merchant (41 years old)
- Geraldine Fitzgerald (102 years old)
- Colin Hanks (38 years old)
- Lola Glaudini (44 years old)
- Brad Sherwood (51 years old)
- Sarah Hyland (25 years old)
- Cathy Lee Crosby (75 years old)
- Katherine Heigl (37 years old)
- Akio Ôtsuka (57 years old)
- Beth Phoenix (35 years old)
- Denise Crosby (58 years old)
- Vanessa Incontrada (37 years old)
- Emir Kusturica (61 years old)
- Dwight Schultz (68 years old)
- Amanda Wyss (55 years old)
- Thierry Lhermitte (63 years old)
- Shirley Henderson (50 years old)
- See more (24)