- Jun 5, 1895
- Hendrysburg, Ohio, USA
Bio: The son of a day laborer, William Boyd moved with his family to Tulsa, Oklahoma, when he was seven. His parents died while he was in his early teens, forcing him to quit school and take such jobs as a grocery clerk, surveyor and oil field worker.
He went to Hollywood in 1919, already gray-haired. His first role was as an extra in Cecil B. DeMille's Why… More Bio: The son of a day laborer, William Boyd moved with his family to Tulsa, Oklahoma, when he was seven. His parents died while he was in his early teens, forcing him to quit school and take such jobs as a grocery clerk, surveyor and oil field worker.
He went to Hollywood in 1919, already gray-haired. His first role was as an extra in Cecil B. DeMille's Why Change Your Wife? (1920). He bought some fancy clothes, caught DeMille's eye and got the romantic lead in The Volga Boatman (1926), quickly becoming a matinée idol and earning upwards of $100,000 a year.
With the end of silent movies, Boyd was without a contract and going broke. By mistake his picture was run in a newspaper story about the arrest of another actor with a similar name ('William Stage Boyd') on gambling and liquor charges, and that hurt his career even more. In 1935 he was offered the lead role in Hop-Along Cassidy (1935). He changed the original pulp-fiction character to its opposite, made sure that "Hoppy" didn't smoke, drink, chew tobacco or swear, rarely kissed a girl, and let the bad guy draw first. By 1943 he had made 54 "Hoppies" for his original producer, Harry Sherman; after Sherman dropped the series, Boyd produced and starred in 12 more on his own. The series was wildly popular and all at least doubled their profit.
In 1948 Boyd, in a savvy and precedent-setting move, bought the rights to all his pictures (he had to sell his ranch to raise the money) just as TV was looking for Saturday-morning western fare. He marketed all sorts of products and received royalties from comic books, radio and records.
He retired to Palm Desert, California, in 1953. In 1968 he had surgery to remove a tumor from a lymph gland and, from then on, refused all interview and photograph requests. He died on September 12,1972 in Laguna Beach, California, USA from Parkinson's disease and heart failure.
William Boyd Videos
- Gareth David-Lloyd (34 years old)
- Zachary Browne (30 years old)
- April Flowers (37 years old)
- Srdjan Todorovic (50 years old)
- Mohammad Reza Golzar (40 years old)
- Conchata Ferrell (72 years old)
- Chris Barrie (55 years old)
- Max Perlich (47 years old)
- Akshaye Khanna (40 years old)
- Shanna Moakler (40 years old)
- Reba McEntire (60 years old)
- Liam Hess (23 years old)
- Brett Ratner (46 years old)
- Nick Frost (43 years old)
- Dianne Wiest (67 years old)
- Julian Griffith (25 years old)
- Julia Stiles (34 years old)
- Mike Newell (73 years old)
- Yu Wang (71 years old)
- Vince Vaughn (45 years old)
- Daisuke Kishio (41 years old)
- Kate Gosselin (40 years old)
- Fasha Sandha (31 years old)
- Rodney Atkins (46 years old)
- See more (24)