2012
Roland Emmerich delivers another large-scale disaster picture with 2012, a Sony Pictures Entertainment production detailing the year when many ancient scribes predicted that the world would end, with John Cusack, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Danny Glover, Amanda Peet, Thandie Newton, and Oliver Platt filling out the cast. The director co-wrote the script with his 10,000 B.C. writer/composer Harald Kloser.
Directed By
© Sony Pictures/Columbia

"Cusack, with his one-of-the-guys face and his nice way with child actors, does creditable work as an Average American Dad trying to put things right."
‑ Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly
"The worst sins of dialogue are visited upon the wonderfully soulful Chiwetel Ejiofor, who has to remind creepy government types that those massive high-tech arks are for all of us, not just the rich and powerful."
‑ Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out New York
"...seriously, how often do we want to escape into worlds that are hell-bent on ravaging our sense of security with invading aliens and furious natural disasters?"
‑ David Keyes, Cinemaphile.org
"Two and a half hours of heaving and cleaving and crashing and crunching."
‑ Neil Pond, American Profile
"At points, 2012 was tedious enough to make us feel like we were in the theater until 2012"
‑ Kamal 'The Diva' Larsuel, 3BlackChicks Review
"2012 is the rare case of a bad film that I'm nevertheless obliged to recommend you see."
‑ Laremy Legel, Film.com
"Even though this movie's running time of two and a half hours is about one hour too long, there's still some pretty cool disaster stuff on the way."
‑ A.O. Scott, At the Movies
"You cannot say, in the terms of the life and career that Emmerich has built for himself, this is not the apex of his work. The world blows up. The world blows up a lot. The world blows up fantastically. There are worst quests in life."
‑ Will Leitch, Deadspin
"Most of all, I liked the airlifting of giraffes to ark safety via helicopter and the bizarrely unreasonable cheeriness of the beleaguered survivors who all but shout "hip-hip-hooray" after billions of other Earth citizens lose their lives."
‑ Dave White, Movies.com
"A headache inducing mess of apocalyptic proportions, 2012 is a woeful greatest hits package of disaster film clichés, mixed with shallow social commentary."
‑ Matthew Pejkovic, Matt's Movie Reviews
"2012 is reminiscent of yesteryear '80s shlock-tastic blockbusters -- total popcorn entertainment with ridiculous dialogue and impossible situations and special effects that will boggle the brain for a good two-plus hours."
‑ Sara Vilkomerson, New York Observer
"2012 is so long, and its special effects are at once so outrageous and so thunderously predictable, that by the time I lurched from the theatre I felt that three years had actually passed and that the apocalypse was due any second."
‑ Anthony Lane, New Yorker
"Emmerich favours hoisting his camera high and dry to give audiences the best panoramic view, but it removes all tension from proceedings - you're always at a safe distance."
‑ Ali Gray, TheShiznit.co.uk
"Over the top scenes of destruction aside 2012 is generally unimaginative in every way, from conception to execution. It's not particularly bad, but never has the end of the world seemed so quaint."
‑ Joshua Starnes, ComingSoon.net
"In line with the U.S.-centric heartbeat of 2012, most other nationalities, particularly the Russians, are viewed as imbeciles and/or mere extensions of crude stereotypes - clever Indians, honourable Chinese, stylish Italians, and so on."
‑ Simon Foster, sbs.com.au