49 Up
"49 Up" is the seventh film in a series of landmark documentaries that began 42 years ago when UK-based Granada's "World in Action" team, inspired by the Jesuit maxim "Give me the child until he is seven and I will give you the man," interviewed a diverse group of seven-year-old children from all over England, asking them about their lives and their dreams for the future. Michael Apted, a researcher for the original film, has returned to interview the "children" every seven years since, at ages 14, 21, 28, 35, 42 and, now again, at age 49. In this… More

Subscription
Stream Now

"This seventh installment is utterly fascinating, drawing heavily on footage from the previous movies to follow each child on the journey into middle age."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"The segments are so cleverly arranged -- [director Michael Apted] includes past pictorial references for each of the people we revisit -- that now there is something almost mystical involved."
‑ Stanley Kauffmann, The New Republic
"Essential viewing"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"Time-lapse cinematography taken at seven year intervals."
‑ Kam Williams, EURWeb
"Doesn't tell us about these people's lives so much as it splashes a cold hourglass of water in the face, reminding us that time can slowly turn us into someone unrecognizable, especially to ourselves."
‑ Brian Gibson, Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)
"Michael Apted's Up series remains one of the great imaginative leaps in film."
"But a funny thing happened on the way to the class-warfare lecture: Most of the subjects got on with living their lives, ignoring their class distinctions in the process."
‑ Sean Means, Film.com
"There should not be an adult in the western world who isn't at least tacitly familiar with Michael Apted's groundbreaking documentary series based on the idea that a person's personality is formed by the age of seven."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"Even those wondering about the gaps and "missing pieces" or what will happen in the future will not be disappointed by this remarkable work."
‑ Eric Monder, Film Journal International
"Apted continues his seminal docu series with another riveting chapter. The film no longer belongs to him: Feeling their privacy has been invaded, the subjcets talk back, trying to shape their own narrative and even withhold vital information from him."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"I can think of no single movie, fictional or factual, that more strongly awakens our common humanity or that establishes such a marvelous, tight bond with its characters."
‑ Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"I'll wait breathlessly for 56 Up, and hope this brave group will speak to the camera again; giving us the gift of a share in their lives."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"In 42 years has the series brought any insight into issues of class, politics, or culture? Perhaps only insofar as nearly all the participants, regardless of background, end up as the same bourgeois, middle-aged mediocrities."
‑ Peter Keough, Boston Phoenix
"The wonder of 49 Up is its unfolding, within a little more than two hours, of so many specific lives..."
‑ Stuart Klawans, The Nation
"A reality show that transcends that now-hackneyed phrase to become an utterly unique work of 'popular history'--and of art."
‑ Frank Swietek, One Guy's Opinion