Skeletons

"A warmhearted, quietly ambitious film."
‑ Jonathan Zwickel, Seattle Times
"Since the mannered storytelling never really draws us in, we're too often left to contemplate the film's oddity instead of its emotional conflicts."
‑ Trevor Johnston, Radio Times
"Writer/director Nick Whitfield is clearly a talent to watch."
‑ Allan Hunter, Daily Express
"One hesitates to over-praise such a delicate, small-scale work, but Whitfield seems like a major talent."
‑ David Gritten, Daily Telegraph
"Skeletons is an enjoyably quirky, beautifully shot British drama with some nice ideas, an inventive script and terrific performances from the entire cast. Highly recommended."
‑ Matthew Turner, ViewLondon
"A leftfield comedy of the mundane with a sci-fi edge, 'Skeletons' doesn't quite know what to do with its bold ideas."
‑ Dave Calhoun, Time Out
"This surreal and quirky British comedy-drama benefits from strongly resonant performances that help us go along with the absurdist plot."
‑ Rich Cline, Shadows on the Wall
"A fairly solid debut, a decent calling card for Whitfield - it will be interesting to see what he does next - and a welcome signal that the British film industry isn't completely bereft of ideas."
‑ Alistair Harkness, Scotsman
"Balancing oddity and fantasy with real emotions and pain is a difficult trick to pull off. Whitfield has managed it nicely."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian
"Though there's a little narrative drift in the middle, as a portrait of lives wrecked and remedied by memory's narcotic pull it's both strange and strangely moving."
‑ Matt Glasby, Total Film
"It's decidedly low budget, but sufficiently inventive enough to have won the Michael Powell prize for being the best of British at the Edinburgh Film Festival."
‑ Graham Young, Birmingham Post
"with its pitch-perfect performances, surreal streak of humour, strong sense of place and poignant notes of melancholy, it might just be the finest cult film to have come from Britain since Withnail and I (1987)."
‑ Anton Bitel, Film4
"This primitive effort needed much more work on the screenplay, a director with some grasp of pace, and a budget that could have done justice to its ideas."
‑ Christopher Tookey, Daily Mail [UK]
"Nick Whitfield's directorial debut is a screwy, smart look at the boundaries we draw between our private and public lives, delivered through a darkly funny script steeped in existential fantasy"
‑ Henry Barnes, Little White Lies