The Hunter
The Hunter is the story of Martin, a skilled and ruthless mercenary sent into the Tasmanian wilderness on a hunt for a tiger believed to be extinct. Hired by an anonymous company that wants the tiger's genetic material, Martin arrives in Tasmania posing as a scientist. He proceeds to set up base camp at a broken-down farmhouse, where he stays with a family whose father has gone missing. Usually a loner, Martin becomes increasingly close to the family; however, as his attachment to the family grows, Martin is led down a path of unforeseen dangers, complicating his deadly mission. -- (C)… More

"Its mostly observant temper keeps us from being greatly moved, but it holds us with its acute, almost laboratory dissection of its people's beings."
‑ Stanley Kauffmann, The New Republic
"With a rucksack of gadgets, Dafoe makes a believably cunning tracker, and when he finally confronts his prey, the mutual respect feeds a poignant parable."
‑ Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"It is an atmospheric and richly rewarding film that glides along at a pace akin to that of the small country local within which it's set."
‑ Glenn Dunks, Onya Magazine
"Part character piece, part family drama and part survivalist thriller, it's most successful when Dafoe is patiently stalking through the woodland, as his craggy presence and the moody cinematography are enough to hold our interest."
‑ Stephen Carty, Flix Capacitor
"By the time Dafoe tracks down the elusive CGI'd thylacine, my eyelids had washed over with a glaze of numbness. The big winner here, Tasmania's tourist board."
‑ Erick Weber, NECN
"A movie with more plot than it can comfortably handle."
‑ Ty Burr, Boston Globe
"Not much happens in "The Hunter." And what little does happen, happens very slowly. And then is repeated."
‑ Soren Anderson, Seattle Times
"Slow-moving but graceful, this character study is engaging and insightful."
‑ John Hanlon, Big Hollywood
"Well-crafted and finely acted adventure story that held my interest throughout."
""The Hunter" is mostly well-done, but where I would normally say "it never comes together," I actually have to say it comes together too late."
‑ Jeff Beck, Examiner.com
"It's all intended to be darkly metaphorical. In actuality, it's a mediocre film unfolding without plan, purpose or enthusiasm."
‑ Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"The character arc is strong on paper but not well-realized on film, and therein lies The Hunter's greatest failing."
‑ James Berardinelli, ReelViews
"The Hunter delivers a quiet and somewhat meandering story that wallows in self-importance and social agenda."
‑ Amy Curtis, We Got This Covered
"This powerful drama is strongly anchored by Willem Dafoe's nuanced performance as a hard loner who is softened by a vulnerable family who finds a place in his heart."
‑ Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope
""The Hunter" is the most intriguing thriller to come along in the first half of 2012. Willem Dafoe continues to showcase why he's one of the best actors today and the cinematography for the film is absolutely breathtaking."
‑ Chris Sawin, Examiner.com