The Square
The Egyptian Revolution has been an ongoing rollercoaster over the past two and a half years. Through the news, we only get a glimpse of the bloodiest battle, an election, or a million man march. At the beginning of July 2013, we witnessed the second president deposed within the space of three years. The Square is an immersive experience, transporting the viewer deeply into the intense emotional drama and personal stories behind the news. It is the inspirational story of young people claiming their rights, struggling through multiple forces: from a brutal army dictatorship willing to crush… More

Subscription
Stream Now

"Noujaim's film attests to how quickly joyous weeping in the streets gave way to sectarian arguments over the army's role and fissures in promising alliances."
‑ Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post
"Epitomizes nonfiction film not just as a way to deepen knowledge and understanding, but also as an art form."
‑ Ann Hornaday, Washington Post
"Nothing short of literature"
‑ Daniel Walber, Nonfics
"What does a revolution really feel like? You learn the answer in The Square, an extraordinary documentary that puts its cameras on the ground to take us in the heart of the troubled, betrayed, idealistic and sad movement for democracy in Egypt."
‑ Jay Stone, Canada.com
"An essential chronicle."
‑ Jonathan Kiefer, SF Weekly
"If the resulting film is unwieldy - five editors, five "additional editors," and six assistant editors are credited - it also brims with angry urgency."
‑ Simon Houpt, Globe and Mail
"What does a revolution feel like from the inside? I'm not sure we'll ever get closer than "The Square," an electrifying, at times heartbreaking documentary from the Egypt-born, Harvard-educated documentarian Jehane Noujaim."
‑ Ty Burr, Boston Globe
"Jehane Noujaim's ground-level account of the Arab Spring from 2011 to mid-2013 in Cairo's Tahrir Square has heart, wit, poetry and fire."
‑ Ray Pride, Newcity
"One of the very best documentaries of 2013."
‑ Kelly Vance, East Bay Express
"The Square doesn't slack for a minute. Quite a voice. Quite a film..."
‑ Elias Savada, Film Threat
"The camera becomes a revolutionary: running, chasing, breathlessly jittery, up in the face of interrogators."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"If, like me, you watched all this on TV, the ongoing turmoil began to feel like a distant, abstract blur. Noujaim takes us inside this history by centering on three protesters, each from a different background."
‑ John Powers, NPR
"Unflinching, violent but excellent docu on Arab Spring."
‑ Brian Costello, Common Sense Media
"A stirring tribute to democracy and those willing to fight for it."
‑ Mike Scott, Times-Picayune
"The film succeeds in its quieter moments."
‑ Chris Knight, National Post