The time is the too-near future. Powered and enabled by the invention known as the Great Machine, the world's machines have turned on mankind and sparked social unrest, decimating the human population before being largely shut down. But, as our world fell to pieces, a mission began to salvage the legacy of civilization; a group of small creations was given the spark of life by a scientist in the final days of humanity, and they continue to exist post-apocalypse. One of these creations, 9, emerges to display leadership qualities that may help them survive and possibly even thrive. It is… More

"This film will surely be remembered as an intriguing failure: a triumph of ambition over ability, of ideas over emotional resonance - just another grim fairy tale for these troubled times."
‑ Tom Huddlestone, Time Out
"[Its] splendid visuals are dragged down by a tedious story."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"A potent reminder that not all shorts, even ones as brilliant as Acker's, will necessarily work well as a feature."
‑ Shaun Munro, What Culture
"If you're gonna be so downbeat, yah gotta be good. This ain't good. Paul Chambers, CNN."
‑ Paul Chambers, CNNRadio
"A throwback to the industrial era, the film doesn't feel as important now as it might have then."
‑ Wesley Lovell, Cinema Sight
"In movies, our technology is so often the ruin of us. We got that message from Stanley Kubrick way back when, and we get it now. But couldn't filmmakers let something else ruin us for a change? Even the apocalypse needs variety."
‑ Mary F. Pols, TIME Magazine
"The expanded cast of creatures looks great, dressed and animated in the homespun style Acker calls ''stitchpunk.''"
‑ Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly
"Darkly beautiful to watch."
‑ Dave White, Movies.com
"9 is overall an enjoyable and inventive film."
‑ Thomas Caldwell, Cinema Autopsy
"Proudly mature -- the movie deals much with individual death as well as doomsday -- so it's a welcome work, something we might even dare to call American-style anime."
‑ Jeffrey Chen, Window to the Movies
"It's easy to see why Acker's gifts caught the attention of these directors; he's a visual craftsman of no little promise. Now if he can just stitch together a story with the same loving care that went into creating those digital burlap dolls..."
‑ Dana Stevens, Slate
"It might have been an opportunity for the sort of challenging speculation sci-fi is best at, however, and the best reason to see it is simply because of the creativity of its visuals."
"Feels unnaturally fleshed out and overthought, dampening the excitement through extensive padding...captivating eye candy, but something of a dramatic spinout."
‑ Brian Orndorf, BrianOrndorf.com
"Discovering the truth is good for the soul"
‑ S. James Wegg, JWR
"This movie is what would happen if the folks at Pixar were manic depressives . . ."
‑ James O'Ehley, fantastiqueZINE