A Letter to Elia
A Letter to Elia
For Martin Scorsese, growing up in Little Italy, seeing On the Waterfront and East of Eden as a young man was a life-changing experience. Scorsese appears on and off camera throughout A Letter to Elia, taking us through Kazan's life and through his own as well, and through his growing realization that there was an artist behind the camera, someone "who knew me, maybe better than I knew myself." The film is about being exposed to the right movies at the right moment in your adolescent life, when you're wide open and ready to connect, to be spurred on by the work up there on… More

"... a first-person reflection on the films and the creator, a mix of history, biography and aesthetic appreciation..."
‑ Sean Axmaker, Parallax View
"A deeply personal film in which Martin Scorsese, who co-directed and co-wrote, speaks at loving length about the impact that Kazan's films had on him."
‑ Shawn Levy, Oregonian
"As much, if not more about Scorsese as it is about Kazan."
‑ Kevin N. Laforest, Montreal Film Journal
"Scorsese offers a stirring analysis of Kazan's artistry while also describing in heartfelt terms how these stories affected him as a nascent movie lover."
‑ Ethan Alter, NYC Film Critic