All About My Mother
Pedro Almodóvar directed this story of a woman and her circle of friends who find themselves suffering a variety of emotional crises. Manuela (Cecilia Roth) is a single mother who has raised her son, Esteban (Eloy Azorín), to adulthood on her own and has come to emotionally depend on him. One night, Manuela and Esteban take in a production of A Streetcar Named Desire; after the show, Esteban is struck and killed by a passing motorist as he dashes into the street to get an autograph from Huma Rojo (Marisa Paredes), who played Blanche. Emotionally devastated, Manuela relocates to Barcelona in… More

"It brims with life."
‑ , TIME Magazine
"For me it felt like a good many weeks at a politically correct summer camp."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"This film is as close to a masterpiece as the director has ever produced."
‑ Ted Murphy, Hollywood.com
"All About My Mother is a wonderful Mother's Day card, in any language."
‑ Joe Lozito, Big Picture Big Sound
"An over-the-top collection of outrageous characters in improbable circumstances that all manage to interconnect, forming a film of incredible power, humor and finally beauty."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"It's a lovely work."
‑ David Edelstein, Slate
"All About My Mother, for all its self-deconstruction, is played with more sobriety and conviction than any of Mr. Almodóvar's previous films."
‑ Andrew Sarris, New York Observer
"Hits a number of the right emotional buttons, due in large part to Roth's extraordinary performance."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"Almodovar does a remarkable job of running all kinds of threads through All About My Mother, tugging on each one before he methodically ties them up."
‑ Susan Tavernetti, Palo Alto Weekly
"Each time the movie seems to be on a head-on collision with melodrama, it jumps the track and veers off toward comedy."
‑ James Sanford, Kalamazoo Gazette
"An emotionally satisfying and brilliantly played take on the ups and (mostly) downs of a group of less-than-typical female friends."
‑ Jonathan Holland, Variety
"It displays a depth and maturity lacking in Almodóvar's earlier work."
‑ Geoff Andrew, Time Out
"Like Almodovar's first masterpiece, Women on the Verge of Nervous Breakdown, this vivid melodrama, the auteur's second masterwork, celebrates the resilience and camaraderie of women under duress."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"A weepie movie with a brainy sensibility, an open heart, and a wicked sense of humor."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"Bawdy, sexual, comedic, highly emotional and full of love."
‑ Jules Brenner, Cinema Signals