All Over The Guy
Actor and playwright Dan Bucatinsky wrote the screenplay for this adaptation of his play I Know You Are, But What Am I?, though for the big-screen version, his slightly fractured love story was given a same-sex twist. Eli (Dan Bucatinsky) is a journalist working with a major L.A. newspaper who is single and not loving it. Eli is also gay, and makes no secret of the fact that he's looking for a nice guy that he can settle down with. Eli's best friend Brett (Adam Goldberg) knows a woman named Jackie (Sasha Alexander), who says she has a friend who would be perfect for Eli. Thus Eli is… More

"Sitcom humor substitutes for wit, and tedious angst supplies the drama."
‑ Ernest Hardy, L.A. Weekly
"Sweet but often tedious."
‑ Jay Carr, Boston Globe
"This isn't another one of those annoying gay rights movies -- it just wants to have fun."
‑ Blake French, Filmcritic.com
"I guess it's a middle of the road romantic comedy... featuring gay men!"
‑ JoBlo, JoBlo's Movie Emporium
"It says nothing new, but it says it painlessly."
‑ Robert W. Butler, Kansas City Star
"It is not a surprise to learn that Bucatinsky is developing a sitcom based on this film, because it plays like an overly long pilot."
‑ Terry Lawson, Detroit Free Press
"Probably plays better on the stage. On film, the dialogue sometimes seems too writerly, too cute."
‑ Eric Harrison, Houston Chronicle
"Better than "The Opposite of Sex", all-round good fun!"
‑ Clint Morris, Moviehole
"All Over the Guy, while by no means a groundbreaking piece of cinema, is a breezy and fun romantic comedy."
‑ Scott Weinberg, Apollo Guide
"A nice little movie."
‑ Kim Morgan, Oregonian
"It may not be totally fresh and original, but All Over the Guy is nearly void of gay stereotypes."
‑ Jane Sumner, Dallas Morning News
"A nicely turned and witty screenplay from Bucatinsky."
‑ Desmond Ryan, Philadelphia Inquirer
"A funny and warm little film that really deserved more attention than it got."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"In my humble estimation, what several of my colleagues have missed is the almost groundbreaking manner in which this relationship is presented. There are no recriminations, and no one is struggling with the issue of "coming out." In fact, being gay"
‑ Ted Murphy, Murphy's Movie Reviews
"Much of the dialogue is sharp, but All Over is undone by melodrama, an overly familiar story and characters who seem more like stand-up comedians as they rattle off lines like, 'The self-pity bus stops right in front of my building. Get on it.'"
‑ Chris Hewitt (St. Paul), St. Paul Pioneer Press