Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
Alvin, Simon, and Theodore meet their musical match after returning to school and entering into a battle of the bands competition in hopes of saving the school's troubled music program. Sent to live with Dave Seville's younger nephew Toby (Zachary Levi), the three lovable marmots decide that getting an education is more important than belting out pop tunes. But the school's music program is about to go belly up, and the only way to save it is to win the 25,000-dollar prize in the upcoming battle of the bands. Though the Chipmunks are confident they have the songwriting skills to… More

"Blending CGI and live action, this "squeakquel" to the witless 2007 kids' film proves just how dangerous such technology is when placed in the wrong hands."
‑ Karina Longworth, Time Out New York
"Being aimed at children isn't a valid excuse for a movie to be simple-minded and illogical. You know that, right?"
‑ Eric D. Snider, Film.com
"Were they always this boring?"
‑ John Gholson, Cinematical
"Kids may enjoy [it]. But kids also would enjoy an all-candy dinner -- which is why grown-ups have to step in and help them make better entertainment choices."
‑ Sean Means, Salt Lake Tribune
"Alvin must be the most unsympathetic lead in any kiddie franchise, and having him do squeaked-up De Niro impersonations doesn't help."
‑ Kim Newman, Empire Magazine
"There are worse forms of torture."
‑ Mary F. Pols, MSN Movies
"Whatever limited charms the first version had -- mostly David Cross' portrayal of Ian, the greedy manager who exploits the furry creatures -- have since soured."
‑ Bill Goodykoontz, Arizona Republic
"Throwaway fun at some points of the film, but on the whole it's simply very frustrating."
‑ Sam Bathe, Fan The Fire
"Easy resolutions pop up and there's no real drama, with flat jokes, overacting and wasted comic-talent voices slathered between the plot's thin slices-of-strife like cheap peanut butter."
‑ Brian Gibson, Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)
"A truly terrible, utterly witless comedy."
‑ Philip French, Observer [UK]
"It's far from the most unpleasant kiddie flick I've sat through this year, although I would be misleading you if I promised you lots of laughs."
‑ Kyle Smith, New York Post
"Will kids eat up this cutely fractious claptrap? Of course they will. They'll eat up whatever you put in front of them. But that doesn't make The Squeakquel good for them."
‑ Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly
"I never thought the day would come where I'd wish I were watching Scooby-Doo rather than what's actually onscreen."
‑ Brian Webster, Apollo Guide
"I must be the old stinker. I think that if you're activities cause property damage, you're a vandal. It's not cute to behave irresponsibly if the result is thousands of dollars in repairs. That's just destruction."
‑ Fred Topel, Can Magazine
"In a crowded cinema, this is every post-pubescent's nightmare."
‑ Elliott Noble, Sky Movies