Am I Black Enough For You?
The story of the singer who soared into the stratosphere with his breakout single "Me and Mrs. Jones", then plummeted back to Earth when his funky follow-up "Am I Black Enough for You?" proved dead on arrival. Billy Paul was a Philadelphia soul artist who could have easily been as big as Marvin Gaye or Curtis Mayfield, but the radical lyrics of his sophomore single proved too polarizing for white America of the 1970s. In the wake of the Civil Rights Movement, amity and personal gain frequently took a backseat to political assertion, especially for African-Americans. Billy… More

Buy SD $5.99 Rent SD $0.99
- -

"Slightly woolly overall, though you might find yourself buying the CDs. I did."
‑ Trevor Johnston, Time Out
"It all boils down to a complete lack of focus on the part of the film-makers. Not only do they fail to get their questions answered, they also run out of material so disastrously."
‑ Wendy Ide, Times [UK]
"The old fella's still got it, but you'll wish you knew more about him."
‑ Josh Winning, Little White Lies
"This illuminating doc looks back on the Philly singer's life and times. It reveals a vast talent who lost his way through a combination of drugs and bad business decisions."
‑ David Edwards, Daily Mirror [UK]
"Olsson, a Swedish enthusiast, doesn't manage to resolve the questions or even convince me that they're interesting enough to sustain a whole film."
‑ Robert Hanks, Independent
"There's not enough about the conflicts between Paul and those who controlled his records but this is a fan-like yet not too oleaginous tribute."
‑ Derek Malcolm, This is London
"Philadelphia's soul legend Billy Paul takes centre stage in this intriguing documentary, which teases out the nuances of his complex and often painful career."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian
"It's clear that there isn't enough imagery to cover the narrative. This is a 50-minute radio programme stuck in 90 minutes of pixels."
‑ Elliott Noble, Sky Movies
"An intriguing documentary."
‑ , Sun Online
"An affectionate and thoughtful portrait of an artist."
‑ Allan Hunter, Daily Express
"A touching story, relatively well told with the bonus of a fine backing track and eloquent interview subjects."
‑ Sam Jordison, Film4
"The film succeeds in making us want to check out the singer's back catalogue."
‑ Sukhdev Sandhu, Daily Telegraph
"The feeling that the film's subject has been over-stretched isn't helped by some crass overdubs of Paul's live performances. Authenticity starts at home."
‑ , Uncut Magazine [UK]
"Am I Black Enough for You is a brain-curdling essay in docu-sycophancy."
‑ Nigel Andrews, Financial Times
"Despite a few structural problems, Am I Black Enough For You is an engaging and ultimately uplifting film."
‑ Matthew Turner, ViewLondon