American Zombie

Buy SD $9.99 Rent SD $2.99
- -

"The best zombie movies shock us into a realization about ourselves and the world in which we live, but how much can zombies teach us when their world so closely resembles 1995?"
‑ Sam Sweet, L.A. Weekly
"The mere fact that [director Grace] Lee can make both a media satire and, in the end, a creepy horror flick, while at least alluding to bigger social issues, suggests the breadth of her wit and intelligence."
‑ Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com
"American Zombie is hands-down the best film I've seen so far this year."
‑ Devin Faraci, MovieWeb
"Besides managing to be a statement on racism, a parody of a documentary, and an enjoyable character conflict between two egotistical directors, it's also a straight up zombie comedy!"
‑ Karina Montgomery, Cinerina
"It is essentially a one-joke premise and while it might have played beautifully as a 30-minute short subject, there just isn't enough to it to sustain itself as a 90-minute feature."
‑ Peter Sobczynski, eFilmCritic.com
"Performances vary widely in quality. Some of the "experts" who expound on zombie culture are portrayed by such amateurish actors that the film threatens to collapse."
‑ Stephen Farber, Hollywood Reporter
"A clever kind of documentary hybrid."
‑ Jonathan W. Hickman, Entertainment Insiders
"Proves that there's still lots of humor and insight to be found in the walking dead."
‑ Devin Faraci, CHUD
"Quippy send up of identity politics documentaries offers some occasionally biting moments."
‑ Sara Maria Vizcarrondo, Boxoffice Magazine
"Lee's film proves that it's a genre as viable as ever, endlessly flexible and perpetually illuminating."
‑ Rob Humanick, Projection Booth
"If Lee intended primarily to spoof documentary conventions, she should have chosen a theme less commercially overexposed -- and worked harder at making it more than just sorta-kinda humorous."
‑ Dennis Harvey, Variety
"[Director] Lee covers all bases and when we least expect it, she also manages to sneak in a creepy zombie flick..."
"Lee wants to make an up-with-dead-people portrait that shines light on how the diverse zombie community integrates into the city."
‑ Amy Nicholson, I.E. Weekly
"American Zombie works on several levels of satire."
‑ Rob Gonsalves, eFilmCritic.com
"A cleverly-comedic, high-concept adventure, artfully-executed, and thought-provoking, too!"
‑ Kam Williams, NewsBlaze