Amour

"This is realism that enlarges our conception of the term."
‑ Stanley Kauffmann, The New Republic
"Many viewers will find echoes of their grandparents, parents, or even themselves in these characters."
‑ James Berardinelli, ReelViews
"The performances of Riva and Trintignant are revelatory."
‑ Richard Knight, Windy City Times
"Amour is a lesser work from Michael Haneke that features brilliant performances from Jean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva, but is held back by a simplistic narrative."
‑ Jeff Beck, We Got This Covered
"Michael Haneke gives us an unflinching look at love in the twilight years, placing a lot on the shoulders of two stars who come through like the veterans they are."
‑ James Plath, Movie Metropolis
"Now at the end of the year comes a masterpiece, not just the best of the year, but one of the best ever: Michael Haneke's Amour."
‑ David Thomson, The New Republic
"A movie that is utterly worthy of its all-encompassing title."
‑ Ann Hornaday, Washington Post
"We wake from the best movies as witnesses; we feel the truth of what we have seen and heard, and though we know it's only a movie - just as we know in lucid dreams that we're actually asleep - we cannot help but feel changed by what we have seen."
‑ Philip Martin, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
"Compelling and incredibly heartbreaking..."
"Unnerving in its own way - heartfelt and tender, but with an undercurrent of foreboding."
‑ Eric D. Snider, EricDSnider.com
"Trintignant perfectly captures the resolve that eventually borders on obsession, as the woman he loves gradually, maddeningly, disappears before his eyes, and he does whatever he can to prevent it, though he knows it's impossible."
‑ Bill Goodykoontz, Arizona Republic
"The resulting interplay of ruthless restraint and unavoidable passion, plus the film's refusal to shrink from depicting the inevitable horrors of physical deterioration, is devastating."
‑ Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
"a profoundly humane and deeply challenging depiction of the emotional and physical ravages of old age"
‑ James Kendrick, Q Network Film Desk
"a stunning work from a man more capable of provocation than actual insight."
‑ Bill Gibron, Film Racket
"It leaves you spent, depressed and intensely afraid of the future. In some ways that's admirable, but like our fallible bodies, it gets old - fast."
‑ Al Alexander, The Patriot Ledger