And So It Goes
There are a million reasons not to like realtor Oren Little (Michael Douglas), and that's just the way he likes it. Willfully obnoxious to anyone who might cross his path, he wants nothing more than to sell one last house and retire in peace and quiet -- until his estranged son suddenly drops off a granddaughter (Sterling Jerins) he never knew existed and turns his life upside-down. Clueless about how to care for a sweet, abandoned nine-year-old, he pawns her off on his determined and lovable neighbor Leah (Diane Keaton) and tries to resume his life uninterrupted. But little by little,… More

"A movie as generic as its title, And So It Goes is about a cranky old man who gets to know and help a child in need and becomes a happier, better person. Yes, I know. I gagged a little when I wrote that, too."
‑ Connie Ogle, Miami Herald
"Relatable doesn't have to mean routine, but Mr. Reiner doesn't always bother to tell the difference ..."
‑ Nicolas Rapold, New York Times
"Can anyone involved with the film have imagined that it would be clever, original, entertaining, or interesting? You know we've seen movies before, right?"
‑ Eric D. Snider, EricDSnider.com
"The kind of movie that pops up on the Hallmark Channel around Christmastime. Only with Oscar winners."
‑ Alonso Duralde, What the Flick?!
"For most of the film the tension revolves around whether Oren will manage to sell a house for $8-million or merely $5-million. I was on the back of my seat."
‑ Chris Knight, National Post
"Pure schmaltz masquerading as life wisdom, it pairs Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton for no apparent reason other than that they fit the elder baby boomer cohort the film is squarely aimed at."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"The pieces of this would-be feel-good movie sink into place with a depressing thud."
‑ Michael Sragow, Orange County Register
"What a condescending movie this is."
‑ Mark Dujsik, Mark Reviews Movies
"The movie is mush, featuring a two-dimensional turn by Diane Keaton and a truly atrocious performance by the usually dependable Michael Douglas."
‑ Daniel M. Kimmel, New England Movies Weekly
"It's a clichéd premise no doubt, but thankfully Reiner and cast play up the comedic angle and make what could have been a flat, Lifetime weepy something springy and possessed of an intermittent joy."
‑ Tom Meek, Paste Magazine
"In a different movie with a better script, Douglas and Keaton might have been charming together, with his dryness balancing her feathery ramblings."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"A little too corny to endorse fully, but no one should be discouraged from seeing it."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"And So It Goes hits the right notes to satiate an audience keen for sight gags and the un-PC rants of the over-60s, in a light 90 minutes that never strays too far from the established rules of the romantic comedy."
‑ Gem Seddon, We Got This Covered
"Douglas and Keaton triumph over the limitations of the material, making us believe that the greatest love in our lives may still be waiting for us."
‑ Nell Minow, Beliefnet
"What keeps this mature romantic comedy from being a winner is a script by Mark Andrus that starts out vapid and barely rises to mediocre."
‑ Rick Bentley, Fresno Bee