Andy Warhol: A Documentary Film
"I think he's a touchstone of the culture--and I mean more than simply painting and art history. I think he's a touchstone of the culture we live in--a touchstone for the entire culture of the post-war period. I think he is probably the most important artist of the second half of the 20th century, maybe the most important artist of the 20th century. If we needed to find a visual form just to distill what it's like to have been alive in the last fifty years, the image would come somewhere from the corpus of Andy Warhol. We might fight over what image it is. We might think… More

"We need all four hours, and even more, to understand the man who so prophetically divided the world into 15-minute increments."
‑ Elizabeth Weitzman, New York Daily News
"To say that this may well be the best biographical film we may ever get about its subject does not in any way diminish the achievement of documentary maker Ric Burns."
‑ Gene Seymour, Newsday
"Beyond all the archival material, the film benefits mightily from the many eloquent talking heads, whose words, incredibly, are always electrifying and revealing."
‑ Doris Toumarkine, Film Journal International
"Blessed with all the trademarks of a Burns brothers documentary, Ric Burns' look at the life of Andy Warhol is well researched, packed with rarely seen footage and loaded with eloquent observations."
‑ Phil Gallo, Variety
"Andy Warhol makes you see that beneath the gargoyle hipster mask, he filled that emptiness with an art of transcendent sincerity."
‑ Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly
"Andy Warhol: A Documentary Film may be half as long as Warhol's opus Sleep, but its overview of the pop aesthete's life and art is nothing if not encyclopedic."
‑ , Slant Magazine
"Ric Burns' absorbing four-hour critical biography of the seminal pop artist is devoted to the proposition that Warhol was the greatest artist of the second half of the 20th century."
‑ Stephen Holden, New York Times
"Burns argues for a cogitating, agitating Warhol: deep thinker, cultural barometer, and world changer."
‑ Ed Halter, Village Voice
"Burns devotes the bulk of the film to Warhol's '60s work, giving serious attention to the radical, often underacknowledged silent films he shot with the participation of the drag queens, speed freaks and high-society types who populated the Factory."
‑ Ken Fox, TV Guide's Movie Guide