Apocalypse Now
One of a cluster of late-1970s films about the Vietnam War, Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now adapts the Joseph Conrad novella Heart of Darkness to depict the war as a descent into primal madness. Capt. Willard (Martin Sheen), already on the edge, is assigned to find and deal with AWOL Col. Kurtz (Marlon Brando), rumored to have set himself up in the Cambodian jungle as a local, lethal godhead. Along the way Willard encounters napalm and Wagner fan Col. Kilgore (Robert Duvall), draftees who prefer to surf and do drugs, a USO Playboy Bunny show turned into a riot by the raucous… More

"A film of pure sensation, dazzling audiences with light and noise, laying bare the stark horror - and unimaginable thrill - of combat."
‑ Tom Huddleston, Time Out
"Apocalypse Now did help provide me, and many of my generation, with a vision of what film art could achieve, a vision so magnificent it doomed us to spend much of our subsequent moviegoing lives in a funk."
‑ Eric Harrison, Houston Chronicle
"The word "apocalypse" derives from the Greek for "revelation," so in effect the title of Coppola's masterpiece is a call for us to wake up and stop lying to ourselves about who we are and what we did and what we still have the power to do."
‑ Andrew Johnson, Movie Mezzanine
"With a famously horrific and documentary inspiring shoot it's almost unfathomable how Francis Ford Coppolla managed to harness the chaotic energy into one of the most potent examinations of war and masculinity to ever grace celluloid."
‑ Blake Howard, 2UE That Movie Show
"A must-see, preferably in the cinema."
‑ Coco Forsythe, Future Movies UK
"Alternately a brilliant and bizarre film, Francis Coppola's four year 'work in progress' offers the definitive validation to the old saw, 'war is hell.'"
‑ Dale Pollock, Variety
"...Coppola's sprawling, harrowing war story is not to be missed."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"While uneven and arguably messy as a result of its famously troubled shoot, Coppola's mythic odyssey captures the madness, insanity and horror of war in a way that few others have been able to, resulting in a hypnotic, unforgettable experience."
‑ Stephen Carty, Flix Capacitor
"Perhaps Francis Ford Coppola's greatest directorial achievement, Apocalypse Now is a visually stunning war film that has no equal, with cinematographer Vittorio Storaro capturing the films Philippine location to great effect."
‑ Matthew Pejkovic, Matt's Movie Reviews
"The best of it is grand, mysterious and oddly possessed."
‑ Anthony Quinn, Independent
"...it's wonderful to see this hallucinatory folly-cum-near masterpiece again on the big screen."
‑ Geoff Andrew, Time Out
"The opening, with the whirling sound of choppers intercut with Willard sweating angst in his Saigon hotel bed, a jungle burning with napalm...remains a visual and aural wonder."
‑ Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
"reveals the horror of necessary madness."
‑ Anton Bitel, Scene 360
"Apocalypse Now is not merely the greatest film to come out of the Vietnam experience but one of the great works about the madness of our times."
‑ Philip French, Guardian
"Undoubtedly it is one of the best films about war ever made."
‑ Derek Malcolm, This is London