Arirang
Arirang is about Kim Ki-duk playing 3 roles in 1. Through Arirang I climb over one hill in life. Through Arirang I understand human beings, thank the nature, and accept my life as it is now. We are now... in the terrestrial world lurking with desires, in the ghostly world lurking with sorrow in the imaginary world lurking with dreams, with no beginning nor end, slowly going crazy. What is affection that it still remains all around me decaying? It's still stuck to the crown of my head, testing my emotions. It's still hiding deep within my heart, testing my sense of compassion. If I… More
Starring
Directed By
© Rapid Eye

"A cri de coeur, constructed as a fly-on-the-wall doc."
‑ Dave Calhoun, Time Out
"Vaguely interesting, but mostly painful and confusing."
‑ David Jenkins, Little White Lies
"Perhaps Arirang works best as testimony to how far up the mountain Kim Ki-duk has yet to travel before regaining his former peaks - at least, though, he has finally resumed the ascent."
‑ Anton Bitel, Eye for Film
"It is the most extravagantly self-indulgent piece of pure loopiness imaginable - but gripping as well. A piece of experimentalism at odds with convention."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian
"Kim Ki-duk's self-made documentary about his three year, guilt induced solitude is incredibly self-absorbed, making it a suffocating and arduous watch."
‑ Jennifer Tate, ViewLondon
"A self-indulgent personal-therapy home movie? Or is there something more?"
‑ Marty Mapes, Movie Habit
"There are intelligent and provocative ideas within Kim Ki-duk's unbearably self-serving docudrama, but the auteur should stick to what he knows best."
‑ Shaun Munro, What Culture
"It's a confessional portrait of the artist as a nutty middle-aged man and a rare insight into a controversial director who's as divisive as the 38th Parallel."
‑ Jamie Russell, Total Film
"Arirang is insufferable, and it's approaching torture to sit through it. Although we do wish Ki-Duk would climb out of his hole and get on with his life."
‑ Burl Burlingame, Honolulu Star-Advertiser