Avant que j'Oublie (Before I Forget)
Avant que j'Oublie (Before I Forget)
Imprisoned by his past and unable to cope with the loneliness that permeates every aspect of his life, an HIV-afflicted 58-year-old man seals himself up from the world in order to embark on an inward journey in director Jacques Nolot's existential drama. Pierre is desperate to move past the suffering and overcome an unshakable case of writer's block. After ingesting some psychotropic substances in hopes that it will help to clear his mind, Pierre learns that an old friend who had ostensibly stood him up for a lunch appointment has in fact died. In the following days, this desperate… More

"Writer-director-actor Jacques Nolot (below) delivers a bold, searching and open-hearted turn as the subject of this confessional study of life as an elderly gay gent in the French capital."
‑ David Jenkins, Time Out
"An unblinking portrait of a complicated, solitary gay man who has outlived his working years."
‑ Stephen Holden, New York Times
"Made on a modest budget this is a brave film from writer-director-star Jacques Nolot who brings an unflinching honesty to his performance."
‑ Allan Hunter, Daily Express
"Before I Forget turns out to be pretty watchable, if sobering, with a fine eye for the absurdities its situations generate."
‑ Andrew Pulver, Guardian
"Any film that boasts two jokes about Roland Barthes and one scene - surreal, deadpan, inspired - of superannuated cross-dressing will take its place, for some, near the front of the must-see queue."
‑ Nigel Andrews, Financial Times
"Before I Forget is a film one can admire, but it is not 'likable,' per se, nor does its director wish it to be."
‑ David Wiegand, San Francisco Chronicle
"It's hardly a rosy picture of what it's like to be gay and 60 in Paris. But it's an engrossing picture."
‑ Noel Murray, AV Club
"A sombre description of age and regret delivered with a deceptively light touch. Wry, tender, full of sympathy and wonderfully acted by Jacques Nolot."
‑ Jon Fortgang, Film4
"It's a subdued, somewhat melancholic Paris to be sure, but one whose potential loneliness is softened by the intriguing support networks the characters improvise."
‑ Sukhdev Sandhu, Daily Telegraph
"It doesn't add up to much as a story, but as an account of a demi-monde defiant in its loucheness and loneliness it has its moments of odd grace."
‑ Anthony Quinn, Independent
"Before I Forget is, in the broad sense, 'gay-themed'. But it's also one of the loveliest, most direct and most devastating pictures about aging that I've ever seen."
‑ Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com
"Nolotā(TM)s portrait of senescence isnā(TM)t about rainbow visions; his film, one of the most honest, courageous and witty of the year, instead looks at decay, insufferable loss and humiliation--all endured...with defiant, wilfull abjection."
‑ Melissa Anderson, Time Out New York
"Tortuously slow but unexpectedly charming."
‑ Wendy Ide, Times [UK]
"Geriatrically paced but genuinely compassionate, Before I Forget introduces a world of ageing bodies, fading libidos and lives spent in thrall to fleeting pleasures."
‑ Matt Glasby, Total Film
"It has the merit of drawing you into this depressing world with stoic realism. It's not, however, a bundle of fun to watch."
‑ , This is London