"The narrative would be ho-hum without the spectacle. But what spectacle! Avatar is dizzying, enveloping, vertiginous ... I ran out of adjectives an hour into its 161 minutes."
‑ David Edelstein, New York Magazine
"The most-hyped movie of the year just about merits it."
‑ Amy Biancolli, San Francisco Chronicle
"Avatar showed me something I have never seen before. It reminded me of what movies can do, of what they're capable of, of what the experience of sitting down for three hours in a dark room can really mean."
‑ Will Leitch, Deadspin
"Cameron is flexing his creative muscles, but the film never overcomes the nagging feeling that he's also simply going through the motions."
‑ Rob Humanick, Projection Booth
"Planet Pandora's plant and animal life is done with a wonder that has been often absent from fiction screens."
‑ Donald J. Levit, ReelTalk Movie Reviews
"I had the feeling coming out of this movie that I haven't felt since maybe I was eleven years old in 1977 and I saw Star Wars for the first time."
‑ A.O. Scott, At the Movies
"Big money, big risk, pretty big reward. That's been his consistent pattern, and it's high time to give credit where credit is overdue: James Cameron delivers."
‑ Rick Groen, Globe and Mail
"Cameron's $300 million baby is nothing but a 5- and 10-cent snore."
‑ Al Alexander, The Patriot Ledger
"Piercing the hype, Avatar may not be a "game changer", but I'll be damned if the game didn't just get a hell of a lot more interesting from here on in."
‑ Ali Gray, TheShiznit.co.uk
"It's both wildly original and hauntingly familiar, like Dances With Wolves in a galaxy far, far away."
‑ Neil Pond, American Profile
"It's a remote-control movie experience, a high-tech "wish you were here" scribbled on a very expensive postcard."
‑ Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com
"I have seen the future of movies, and it is Avatar."
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"This sci-fi epic would be a masterpiece if judged solely on its technical merits."
‑ Rob Humanick, Projection Booth
"While it wasn't the most original narrative, it serves the film well, even if it was merely a template for Cameron to show us this gorgeous world and its landscapes."
‑ Jeff Beck, Examiner.com
"It is far too long and the romance is half-hearted. Still, you'd have to travel very far to feel so fully immersed in another world."
‑ Stella Papamichael, Digital Spy