Away We Go
When slacker thirtysomething couple Burt (John Krasinski) and Verona (Maya Rudolph) discover that his parents are moving overseas, the duo -- who expect their first child in a few months -- set off on a cross-country tour to figure out where they should lay down some roots in Sam Mendes' poignant comedy Away We Go. They visit a number of different cities, and meet with a different friend or family member's family at each stop. Their hosts include a set of emotionally detached parents (Allison Janney and Jim Gaffigan), a pair of overprotective new-age parents (Maggie Gyllenhaal and Josh… More

"That every supporting character is depicted as insufferable or pitiable or both would be bad enough; what's worse is that the couple discover nothing about themselves that wasn't obvious from the opening."
‑ Ben Walters, Time Out
"Rudolph lends depth and complexity to this otherwise facile story."
‑ Rafer Guzman, Newsday
"While the rest of us have been sitting around contentedly with 3-D glasses on our faces, Sam Mendes has been quietly redefining the American family drama."
‑ Kelly Vance, East Bay Express
"Delicado, inteligente e sensível como o casal principal, este talvez seja o mais coeso dos trabalhos de Mendes ao substituir seu cinismo e pessimismo habituais por uma visão doce e otimista da natureza humana."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena
"Sam Mendes' Away We Go is two thirds of a good film. Many good laughs. A decent concept. No follow through."
‑ Giles Hardie, smh.com.au
"Terrific performances make this tender if slight little film worth the trip."
‑ Michael Rechtshaffen, Hollywood Reporter
"You may very well enjoy Away We Go more than I did. But rest assured that you will never love this movie as much as it loves itself."
‑ Christopher Orr, The New Republic
"Really deserved to have a bigger following."
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures
"Nails the melancholy state of being both unsure about living in this world and essentially hopeful about it."
‑ William Goss, Cinematical
"Mendes paints in broad strokes, but in this case he seems little more than an interpreter of his screenwriters' obsession with innocence."
‑ Jake Wilson, The Age (Australia)
"Away We Go makes a nice metaphor for a rootless, self-involved culture of parents trying to get it right and getting all the wrong advice as they do."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"This movie lives in a bubbleland of its main two characters' heads, who shamble along to and fro, never really engaging the planet or stepping outside themselves in any noteworthy way."
‑ Will Leitch, Deadspin
""Away We Go" shared the similarly episodic flutter of familial comedy with "Flirting with Disaster," but evolved to something more than a screwball finish. Ultimately, home represents only all that we can control of the sadness that surrounds us."
‑ Nick Rogers, Suite101.com
"Despite his reputation as a visually stylish director, Sam Mendes has taken a very low-key approach to Away We Go and by doing so has made his best film since American Beauty."
‑ Thomas Caldwell, Cinema Autopsy
"An unconvincing premise is turned into a must-see heartwarming romantic comedy."
‑ Colin Fraser, FILMINK (Australia)