Basic
Tom Hardy, an ex-Army Ranger turned DEA agent, is drawn into an ever-widening mystery surrounding the disappearance of the feared and often hated Sgt. Nathan West, as well as several of his elite Special Forces trainees on what appears, at first, to have been a routine training exercise during a hurricane in the jungles of Panama. Only two survivors are found, Dunbar, and a badly wounded Kendall, the son of a high-profile Joint Chiefs of Staff official. Neither is willing to cooperate with Capt. Julia Osborne's investigation. So base commander Col. Bill Styles calls in ex-Ranger Hardy, an… More

"Director John McTiernan does a swell job with James Vanderbilt's sneaky script in keeping us guessing."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"Nothing is as it appears, except the fact that nothing is as it appears."
‑ Ed Park, Village Voice
"Basically bad and sorry attempt at a thriller."
‑ Nell Minow, Common Sense Media
"Basic is one of those rare movies without even a single redeeming quality."
‑ Greg Maki, Star-Democrat (Easton, MD)
"Best described as military noir, Basic reunites John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson in a kind of Pulp Fiction with rain and fatigues, plus a chaser of Rashomon on the side."
‑ Prairie Miller, Long Island Press
"You can fall asleep in the first reel, wake up at the end, and know as much as anyone else."
‑ Jack Mathews, New York Daily News
"[Basic] had a great sense of itself and it had a lot of fun taking us from one corner to the next and then spinning us around until we got dizzy and didn't know where we were. I like that."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"A poor effort with a confusing story and ridiculous plot twist after plot twist."
"The problem is that we've been given nothing to make us care for any of these people, so when the mysteries unravel there's nothing in the answers that hit us at a gut level."
‑ Daniel M. Kimmel, Worcester Telegram & Gazette
"Samuel L. Jackson's performance is the main reason to watch this ultimately disappointing mystery that thrives on audience deception and mass confusion."
‑ Andrew Manning, Radio Free Entertainment
"Made up of remnants from other, better films."
‑ Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
"Travolta is a vital presence that constantly holds our attention, even when the script is threatening to lose it."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"McTiernan's bitten off way more than he could chew, spicing up the Usual Suspects approach with a dash of Rashomon and a little of help from A Few Good Men."
‑ Matt Kelemen, Las Vegas CityLife
"A estrutura narrativa (obviamente inspirada em Rashomon) é interessante, mas a necessidade de criar reviravoltas surpreendentes praticamente destrói o filme, já que, ao final da projeção, nada mais faz sentido."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena
"The final parts of this movie are the kind that you'd swear were slapped on by the studio, until you realise the whole story must have been built around them."
‑ Ian Waldron-Mantgani, UK Critic