Because I Said So
Diane Keaton stars as a unconditionally loving, but meddling, mother whose vain attempt to prevent her insecure youngest daughter from repeating the same mistakes that she made leads to a series of comic misunderstandings in director Michael Lehmann's affectionate family comedy. When it comes to the topic of motherhood, Daphne Wilder (Keaton) has seen it all. Her eldest daughter, Maggie (Lauren Graham), is a highly respected psychologist and her middle daughter, Mae (Piper Perabo), is both sexy and smart, but youngest Milly (Mandy Moore) just can't seem to get things right no matter… More

"I hated this movie. I think it's the worst performance of Diane Keaton's career."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"Recycling every cliche in the rom-com handbook, it's clear from the very first that Lehmann has sacrificed his characters on the altar of sappy endings. What a waste -- for everybody."
‑ Tom Charity, CNN.com
"Because I Said So seems like it's supposed to be a paean of sorts to motherhood and the enduring love that entails, a love so strong that it inevitably drives its possessor somewhat batty. But what it is, is muddled crap."
‑ Joshua Starnes, ComingSoon.net
"There are chick flicks and upchuck flicks. The movie Because I Said So is an upchuck chick flick."
‑ Tony Macklin, Fayetteville Free Weekly
"Matricide."
‑ Christopher Smith, Bangor Daily News (Maine)
"Everyone here is a caricature, and the gaps are papered over with hyperactive shtick. I haven't seen so many cakes dropped or smashed since I Love Lucy."
‑ Mark Holcomb, Time Out New York
"As almost everyone knows by now, the early part of the year has become a dumping ground for dreadful movies. Still, Because I Said So constitutes unusually toxic waste."
‑ Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal
"Like steel pins poking through the eyes"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"This is a by-the-book chick flick we're talking about, but the writers and director apparently didn't want to push the envelope when it came to the supporting characters -- or the main characters."
‑ Brian Marder, Hollywood.com
"It's a lame duck of a film."
‑ George Palathingal, Sydney Morning Herald
"If you don't expect too much of it, you may find yourself pleasantly -- all right, soothingly -- surprised by it."
‑ Richard Schickel, TIME Magazine
"It's so derivative, unfunny and thuddingly bad that it's one of the more cringe-inducing movies of a genre chock-full of clunkers."
‑ Claudia Puig, USA Today
"The ensuing cycle of miscommunication is endless and trying."
‑ Tom Meek, Boston Phoenix
"Because I Said So isn't very funny, and no amount of having Diane Keaton act all post-menopausally zany is going to create the tension that just isn't there."
‑ Heather Huntington, ReelzChannel.com
"A light-weight comedy about mothers and daughters, Because I Said So is a bit like the chocolate soufflés that Mandy Moore's Milly cooks throughout. It's light and fluffy, but on occasions it does not rise to the occasion"
‑ Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile