Begin Again
In Theaters July 4
The latest film from writer-director John Carney (ONCE), BEGIN AGAIN is a soul-stirring comedy about what happens when lost souls meet and make beautiful music together. Gretta (Keira Knightley) and her long-time boyfriend Dave (Adam Levine) are college sweethearts and songwriting partners who decamp for New York when he lands a deal with a major label. But the trappings of his new-found fame soon tempt Dave to stray, and a reeling, lovelorn Gretta is left on her own. Her world takes a turn for the better when Dan (Mark Ruffalo), a disgraced record-label exec, stumbles upon her performing on… More

"There are times when the thing you want most is not a big, important movie but a simple, beautiful story told with sensitivity, warmth, humor and a big heart. Times when you don't need a movie to save your life, you just need a movie to make you feel good."
‑ , The Wrap
"Plays like an endless and quickly tiresome string of movie montages."
‑ Laremy Legel, Film.com
"Songs and films save my life every day, and I suspect John Carney's latest will be embraced by audiences everywhere who feel the same way."
‑ Drew McWeeny, HitFix
"Moving along at a reasonably engaging pace, it foregrounds the actor's investment in the scenario and makes it relatable."
‑ Eric Kohn, indieWIRE
"A warm-hearted pleasure with a whole lot of soul, and effortlessly propelled forward by charming and compassionate performances by Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo."
‑ Mark Adams, Screen International
"I'm glad, I seriously am, that John Carney wants to make deeply and embarrassingly sincere musical movies, and I hope he keeps on making them, but let's also hope he realizes that when it comes to Once, once was enough."
‑ Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly
"The film's quiet pleasures creep up on you."
‑ David Rooney, Hollywood Reporter
"By the end of this movie I was so far in the tank for it that my opinion probably can't be trusted."
‑ Noel Murray, The Dissolve
"Could just one number, performed weedily by Keira Knightley at the beginning of this romcom, cause your body to self-combust at the prospect of enduring 90-odd minutes of a movie obsessed with authenticity but as phoney as a Miley Cyrus dance routine?"
‑ Paul MacInnes, Guardian [UK]
"A lovely story that's sweet, funny and heartfelt -- and man does it sound good."
‑ Erik Davis, Movies.com
"Another upbeat outing in which characters strum their way through tricky emotional situations."
‑ Peter Debruge, Variety
"Can a Song Save Your Life? is overproduced, and more than a little fake. But it carries a sweet, and catchy tune that will likely win you over"
‑ Sam Woolf, We Got This Covered
"For a movie that could have come off like a Hollywood version of something beautiful and tiny, it's actually quite successful."
‑ Linda Holmes, NPR.org
"Will leave a smile on the face of even the most cynical viewers. Impossible not to like."
‑ Chris Bumbray, JoBlo's Movie Emporium
"...director John Carney is traveling over the same ground as he did with Once, though the results are far less potent...Can A Song Save Your Life? is a rhetorical question in the grand scheme of a film that offers little stakes."
‑ Kevin Jagernauth, The Playlist