Brewster McCloud
A boy yearns to fly in Robert Altman's whimsical youthquake parable. With the aid of seraphic Louise (Sally Kellerman), owlish Brewster (Bud Cort) constructs a pair of human-size wings in his Houston Astrodome nest to realize his dream. Meanwhile, conservative creeps, including a witchy "Star-Spangled Banner"-belting crone (Margaret Hamilton) and Brewster's skinflint boss (Stacy Keach), keep turning up dead covered with bird droppings; the Houston Establishment calls in blue-eyed, turtleneck-wearing "San Francisco super cop" Frank Shaft (Michael Murphy) to… More

"A sardonic fairy tale for the times, extremely well cast and directed."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"We get the sense of a live intelligence, rushing things ahead on the screen, not worrying whether we'll understand."
"I can't say that I regret watching Brewster McCloud, but I also can't say that I'd sit through it again."
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures
"Anyone who cherishes Robert Altman's work definitely needs to see this defiantly kooky comedy."
‑ Mike McGranaghan, Aisle Seat
"Weird, weirdly poetic early Altman"
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"Altman's unexpected follow-up to MASH is pitched fairly successfully between escapist fantasy and satirical comment on the same."
‑ , Time Out
"One of Robert Altman's most charming exercises in cabaret humor and off-the-cuff modernism."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader
"There is something delightful in the absurdity and chaos of the movie that kept my interest even as I struggled to pinpoint exactly what it was that I was watching."
‑ Ryan Cracknell, Movie Views
"Altman's best movie. No s---."
‑ Eric Lurio, Greenwich Village Gazette
"Altman's running joke through this movie is that it is a birdwatching film"
‑ Shane Burridge, rec.arts.movies.reviews
"It's imitation hip."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"A wacko funny pic."
"The film is so odd and freewheeling that it probably should have become a cult classic, if not for the fact that it has been so hard to find on video."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"30 years on, the swipes at materialism seem mild, and the narrative -- if it can be called that -- introduces ideas and actions which go unexplained."
‑ , Film4