Broken English
A single thirtysomething whose friends all seem to be romantically involved, happily married, or with child meets an eccentric Frenchman who shows her just what an amazing place the world can truly be in director Zoe Cassavetes' entry into the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. As if it wasn't depressing enough to be 35 and still single, Nora (Parker Posey) is constantly reminded by her loving but tactless mother (Gena Rowlands) just how unlucky she has been in love. Though Nora longs to enter into a blissful union like the one of her best friend, Audrey (Drea de Matteo), she finds that the… More

"How Posey's neurotic, self-destructive heroine finds her way to healing is the core of this generous film, whose moral is that happiness can't begin unless you're open to its possibility."
‑ Andrea Gronvall, Chicago Reader
"Cassavetes supplies no easy answers or easy laughs, forgoing romantic-comedy beats in respect for Nora's desperation. Call this confection a romantic-dramedy with humor on wry."
‑ Bruce Westbrook, Houston Chronicle
"Broken English surprised me all around: I didn't expect to be particularly impressed with it, and instead it turns out to be not only one of my favorite films I've see this year, but it will probably earn a spot in the all-time annals for me."
‑ Heather Huntington, ReelzChannel.com
"a tired retread of Sex and the City, with all the same preoccupations and issues but with none of the fun"
‑ Don Willmott, Filmcritic.com
"You might be a little surprised or at least amused when the caustic, tired, joyous, frantic roller coaster stops."
‑ Larry Ratliff, San Antonio Express-News
"A likable but wan romance."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Broken English establishes a sympathetic character, gets Parker Posey to make her real, and then grinds her in the gears of a plot we cannot believe."
"Posey's admirers will experience a sensual intoxication that fans always experience when their film goddesses are at their very best."
‑ Brandon Judell, New York Theatre Wire
"Edgy girl-meets-boy indie for older teens and up."
‑ S. Jhoanna Robledo, Common Sense Media
"Ultimately, the only wisdom you leave with is the implausibly wise pocket philosophy gleaned from romantic strangers on the streets of an idealized France."
‑ John Thomason, Orlando Weekly
"Filmmaking is a family affair for the Cassavetes, and Zoe inherits the unpretentious, performance-driven style from her father, John, while delivering a love story that's accessible enough for mainstream audiences, a trick learned from her brother Nick."
‑ Peter Debruge, Miami Herald
"A promising first film with moments exceeding that promise."
‑ Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune
"This isn't the best independent film we've seen starring Miss Posey, but she is the reason this one works."
‑ Cherryl Dawson and Leigh Ann Palone, TheMovieChicks.com
"When Nora decides to take yet another risk against her better judgment, the film leaves to you to judge it as quixotic, vexing, or fitting."
‑ Cynthia Fuchs, PopMatters
"...neither the story nor the well-acted characters quite engage our interest or sympathy."
‑ Jim Lane, Sacramento News & Review