Brothers (Brødre)
Michael has everything under control: a successful military career, a beautiful wife and two daughters. His younger brother Jannik is a drifter, living on the edge of the law. When Michael is sent to Afghanistan on a UN mission, the balance between the two brothers changes forever. Michael is missing in action -- presumed dead -- and Jannik comforts Sarah, showing himself capable of taking responsibility for both himself and the family. It soon becomes clear that their feelings have developed beyond mutual sympathy. When Michael comes home, traumatized by being held prisoner in the mountains… More

"Bier, honored as an Emerging Master at the Seattle International Film Festival this year, is clearly a director to watch. In her hands, a story that could become melodramatic is gripping and heartbreaking."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"Feels like an amalgam of newsreel and stage drama, but with the most potent aspects of both art forms."
‑ Desson Thomson, Washington Post
"if every film I see is as satisfying a complex human drama as this, I wouldn't have much to gripe about."
‑ Jules Brenner, Filmcritic.com
"...about the kind of choices that we might make under duress â" and about the sort of accommodations we must necessarily make with the difficult choices our loved ones make."
‑ Philip Martin, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
"After the film ends you may find fault with certain plot elements, but while you're watching it, Bier's effort totally sucks you in."
‑ Robert W. Butler, Kansas City Star
"At its core, Susanne Bier's wrenching portrayal of the shifting dynamics within a Danish family is really about survival, about how we cope in the face of shattering grief and what we'll do -- anything, really -- to save ourselves."
‑ Connie Ogle, Miami Herald
"Keeps itself floating above the suds thanks to Bier's crisp and lively visual design, the general loveliness of her cast ... and her attention to small moments of arresting domestic authenticity."
‑ Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star
"Un drama familiar intimista y bien actuado sobre los efectos que puede producir un trauma en la vida de las personas, y sobre la oportunidad de cambiar."
‑ Enrique Buchichio, Uruguay Total
"This is storytelling at its best, with each scene building toward a crescendo of moral decisions."
‑ Michele Kenner, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
"...intriguing..."
‑ David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews
"A profoundly affecting movie, one in which our sympathies lie with everyone."
‑ Richard Nilsen, Arizona Republic
"Strong performances and scenes of the father's imprisonment in war camps make for tense viewing."
‑ Luke Goodsell, Empire Magazine Australasia
"A poignant reminder that social issues, in the end, are personal matters."
‑ Rex Roberts, Film Journal International
"The two male leads, bulwarks of the Danish film industry for more than a decade, play off each other like the veterans they are."
‑ Lawrence Toppman, Charlotte Observer
"The intimate handheld camera work and the attention to life's small details bring an emotional authenticity to this heartbreaking story."
‑ Sean Means, Salt Lake Tribune