Cars
A pedal-to-the-metal race car determined to prove his worth on the tracks discovers that life isn't always about crossing the finish line first in Toy Story director John Lasseter's mechanically minded tale of friendship and loyalty. Lightning McQueen (voice of Owen Wilson) may be just a rookie, but he's convinced that he can realize his dream of zooming by the checkered flag if he can only make it to California in time to compete in the upcoming Piston Cup Championship. When Lightning takes a detour into the slow-moving, Route 66 town of Radiator Springs, however, it begins to… More

"Rips off Doc Hollywood, almost note for note."
‑ Christy Lemire, Denver Rocky Mountain News
"Though the central idea of nostalgia for a quieter, small-town life may well be lost on this movie's young audience -- Cars finds a pleasant and often sparkling groove."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"'Cars' has energy and heart-two things that 'Robots' lacked."
‑ James Plath, Movie Metropolis
"Pixar's latest visual stunner with a heart of gold honors our obsession with the automobile. Although it will make many nostalgic for the open road, especially the historic Route 66, the kids might get a little bored with this one."
‑ Kit Bowen, Hollywood.com
"I've never seen a Pixar film so void of magic, and originality before..."
"Along came the interstate, apparently, and ruined everything. Just like that darned Internet, I guess, or that superhighway stuff, or those dumb movies they make with computers nowadays."
‑ Anthony Lane, New Yorker
"Cars made me want to hop in my jalopy and to head out to Route 66, bypassing the boring interstate highways that made the Mother Road redundant."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"Cars is a nice homily to small town life and remembering the past - which definitely has its charms - and call for remembering our roots, but it's been done better elsewhere."
‑ Joshua Starnes, ComingSoon.net
"Pixar's grown so metallic that having automobiles for animated characters becomes disturbingly apt"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"Owen Wilson's infectious good-natured energy permeates Pixar's light-hearted animated movie about "Lightning McQueen" a rookie competition race car that discovers there's more to life than winning races."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"Cars might get us into car world as a gimmick, but it doesn't get us into car world as a state of mind. Thus, the animation, rather than seeming like an expression of the movie's deeper truth, becomes an impediment to it."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"It's beautiful to look at. The talking cars feel more alive than talking cars should."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Unlike other Pixar releases, Cars does not cross over to adults as well as Finding Nemo or The Incredibles. But kids will love it, and isn't that what this type of animation is all about?"
‑ Matthew Pejkovic, Matt's Movie Reviews
"Although the plot coasts along a predictable path, the verbal jokes and sight gags rev things up along the way, making the film enjoyable almost from start to finish."
‑ Steve Biodrowski, Cinefantastique
"This noisy animated paean to NASCAR and Route 66 gets mired in the middle laps on a grippy track."
‑ Justine Elias, Boston Phoenix