Catch a Fire
An apolitical South African oil-refinery worker and soccer coach is forced into terrorism as a means of fighting back against the brutality of the apartheid regime in director Phillip Noyce's dramatic look at the life of one-time political prisoner and freedom fighter Patrick Chamusso. In the 1980s, Patrick (Derek Luke) and his wife Precious (Bonnie Henna) lived a peaceful life until one fateful day, when on an overnight trip with his team, Patrick is singled out as the prime suspect in a bombing at the refinery. Placed in solitary confinement, with his wife and family brutalized by… More

"At its best when making the most of the conflicts at the heart of apartheid."
‑ Dave Calhoun, Time Out
"Catch a Fire is confident enough to depict the battle from all sides."
‑ Christy Lemire, Associated Press
"It doesn't quite have the adrenaline to be a great thriller, but Catch a Fire makes up for it with compelling characters and a genuinely important theme, skillfully told. There's not much else you can ask from a film than that."
‑ Joshua Starnes, ComingSoon.net
"Movies like Catch a Fire are perhaps the most banal sort to write about."
‑ Gabe Leibowitz, Film and Felt
"Let us hope that Noyce's influence in Hollywood will help give this film the attention it deserves, and that his newfound activism will have some effect."
‑ Beverly Berning, culturevulture.net
"Despite Mr. Noyce's attempt to achieve a sense of balance and restraint, the material covers an overly familiar landscape with no special insight or sense of purpose."
‑ Rex Reed, New York Observer
"[The film is] complex. It's rich. I think it's well-done."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"Gritty apartheid drama pushes PG-13 limits."
‑ Jane Boursaw, Common Sense Media
"Noyce is now the favorite filmmaker of your local Amnesty International"
‑ Amy Nicholson, I.E. Weekly
"Sadly, it's all a bit of a Boer about 20 years past its sell-by date and tells us little we didn't know already.Catch a Fire's sluggishly paced plot refuses to come"
‑ Neil Smith, thelondonpaper
"Catch a Fire ignites, incites and informs as few other movies of the fall do."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Patrick Chamusso, the refinery foreman played by Derek Luke in Catch a Fire, brims with energy, whether he's dancing to a Donna Summer song or coaching the local youth soccer team."
‑ Carla Meyer, Dallas Morning News
"If Derek Luke's performance is anything to go by, than we might just have the next great actor of this generation."
‑ Matthew Pejkovic, Matt's Movie Reviews
"...as the credits rolled, I did hope for more."
‑ Jason Gorber, Film Scouts
"Featuring excllent performances from Luke and Robbins, Catch A Fire is a mature, thought provoking film."
‑ Paul Arendt, BBC