Certified Copy (Copie Conforme)
Certified Copy (Copie Conforme)
Juliette Binoche won the Best Actress prize in Cannes for her performance in this playful and provocative romantic drama from legendary auteur Abbas Kiarostami (TASTE OF CHERRY, THE WIND WILL CARRY US), his first feature made outside of Iran. Binoche plays a gallery owner living in a Tuscan village who attends a lecture by a British author (opera star William Shimell) on authenticity and fakery in art. Afterward, she invites him on a tour of the countryside, during which he is mistaken for her husband. They keep up the pretense and continue on their afternoon out, discussing love, life and… More

". The basic plot - a man and a woman traveling and talking - is reminiscent of Richard Linklater's Before Sunrise/Before Sunset films, but the way in which Certified Copy calls into question the nature of reality is more akin to Inception."
‑ James Berardinelli, ReelViews
""Certified Copy" promises more than it delivers, but the limited portions are fresh."
‑ Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"Abbas Kiarostami's Tuscan sun-dappled enigma is the cinematic gift that is going to keep on giving for decades."
‑ Christopher Long, Movie Metropolis
"I could assess the performances (Juliette Binoche is better than ever). ... But I can't treat Certified Copy with a critic's typical detachment. I'm in love with it."
‑ Jeffrey Overstreet, Looking Closer
"Kiarostami is quick to stimulate the mind but not the heart; as a result he never finds a comfortable balance between intellect and emotion, leaving Copie Conforme feeling chilly and distant."
‑ Simon Reynolds, Digital Spy
"The conclusion is abrupt and unsatisfying, but the philosophical dialogue Kiarostami manages to keep aloft for well over an hour touches on intriguing questions of openness, self-honesty, and personal freedom."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"There's a divinely comical lightness to Binoche here: Even in states of conniption and complaint, she's floating, albeit manically."
‑ Wesley Morris, Boston Globe
"Binoche and Shimell keep us fully engaged with their characters throughout their conversations, and Kiarostami draws us in with his signature mixture of long takes and intimate close-ups"
‑ James Kendrick, Q Network Film Desk
"Kiarostami has woven together a veritable tapestry of the mind: here a stray thought, there an oft-disputed theory."
‑ Michael Nordine, Film Threat
"It may be merely a copy of life, but in its power, mystery, confusion and emotional resonance, 'it leads us to the original.'"
‑ John Beifuss, Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)
"The movie threatens to become a sketch about a coquette and a boor squabbling at each other to little effect."
‑ John Hartl, Seattle Times
"Certified Copy is a slighter but more ingratiating film and a chance to see a master filmmaker in uncharacteristic playful mode."
‑ Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail
"...impossibly romantic."
‑ Josh Larsen, LarsenOnFilm
"Tal vez intentar buscar respuestas a tantas preguntas sea no sólo una pérdida de tiempo sino contradecir el discurso sin ataduras que nos propone Kiarostami, lleno de interrogantes que no pretenden ser respondidas."
‑ Enrique Buchichio, Uruguay Total
"The only thing I can say for certain is that we can put our trust in the hands of a master filmmaker like Kiarostami, who engages the mind at the same time he pierces the heart. "Certified Copy" is the real deal."
‑ Rob Thomas, Capital Times (Madison, WI)