Christmas with the Kranks
Christmas with the Kranks
After faithfully and happily celebrating Christmas their entire lives, and with their daughter Blair in Peru to serve a stint in the Peace Corps, Luther and Nora Krank are facing the prospect of a very lonely holiday. One blustery Chicago night, Luther glances longingly at an alluring poster in a travel agency window and pictures himself and Nora basking in the glow of the sun on a Caribbean cruise. Though Nora is at first reluctant about going away for the holidays, she soon warms up to the idea. But when their neighbors find out, they are aghast, especially local busybody Vic Frohmeyer. To… More

"In any normal year this dire comedy would be the undisputed lump of coal in our psychic stocking, but coming on the heels of Surviving Christmas, it's a close second."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"Hollywood's version of the annual Hallmark Ho-ho-ho card. It's made to order: just slot in the perennial Mr. Santa Claus himself, Tim Allen, and stir."
‑ Susan Walker, Toronto Star
"Unoriginal, unfunny slapstick holiday fare."
‑ Nell Minow, Common Sense Media
"The notion of bullying people into succumbing into the trappings of Christmas does not necessarily represent goodwill to all, and while the situations present good comic opportunities, the film ends up feeling rather manipulative and sugary."
‑ Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile
"There is not a single lifelike character in the entire picture."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"This isn't a wonderful life: It looks pretty hellish."
‑ Keith Phipps, AV Club
"Purports to kindle the warm glow of love for humankind in our hearts but actually reaffirms that the trappings of the holiday season are all that really matter."
‑ Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com
"Christmas With The Kranks is the sort of film that leaves you thinking Ebenezer Scrooge might have had the right idea about the festive season."
‑ Richard Luck, Film4
"Some pathetically predictable plot twists and syrupy sentimentality, which could only amuse a five year-old, lead the Kranks back to their materialistic senses in time for a Kodak moment which shouts a rather shallow Merry Capitalism to all!"
‑ Kam Williams, Ellsworth American
"[A] comedy so broad it barely dents its targets and a patronising moral conclusion that goes against everything its protagonists originally stood for."
‑ Anna Smith, Empire Magazine
"I'm making my list of the worst movies of the year and I'm checking it twice, and I hope to find room for this frantically unfunny disaster."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"Stinks like the unrefrigerated ham its studio sent me as a promotion several months ago."
‑ Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post
"A grueling experience."
"A more sweet than sour satire that sets its sight on nasty but lavishly honey coated underpinnings of the holiday season."
‑ Prairie Miller, WBAI Web Radio
"It is a perfectly fine, inoffensive family comedy."
‑ Fred Topel, MovieWeb