Comment j'ai tué mon père (My Father and I)
Comment j'ai tué mon père (My Father and I)
When the grown-up children of a missing parent are reunited with their father, they discover it raises more questions than it answers in a well-crafted mood piece from writer/director Anne Fontaine. Jean-Luc (Charles Berling) is a well-to-do physician whose practice is devoted to older patients, many of whom are forced to confront their fears about death. While Jean-Luc is used to dealing with such issues, they come home for him one day when he learns that his father has died. The news prompts Jean-Luc to look back at his younger days, and his difficult relationship with his dad, Maurice… More

"Hushed but scalpel-sharp drama, a movie that'll probably send men in the audience home much quieter than they arrived."
‑ Ty Burr, Boston Globe
"This is a harrowing movie about how parents know where all the buttons are, and how to push them."
"Vet French actor Michel Bouquet renders such an astounding performance that he elevates Anne Fontaine's family melodrama way above its Freudian foundations and male menopause."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"Whether writer-director Anne Fontaine's film is a ghost story, an account of a nervous breakdown, a trip down memory lane, all three or none of the above, it is as seductive as it is haunting."
‑ Duane Dudek, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
"This is a fascinating film because there is no clear-cut hero and no all-out villain."
‑ Joe Baltake, Sacramento Bee
"Watching these two actors play against each other so intensely, but with restraint, is a treat."
‑ Marta Barber, Miami Herald
"Cold, nervy and memorable."
‑ Patrick Z. McGavin, Chicago Tribune
"A bela construção de personagens merece elogios."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena
"A chilly, brooding but quietly resonant psychological study of domestic tension and unhappiness."
‑ Frank Swietek, One Guy's Opinion
"How I Killed My Father would be a rarity in Hollywood. It's an actor's showcase that accomplishes its primary goal without the use of special effects, but rather by emphasizing the characters -- including the supporting ones."
‑ Jeff Vice, Deseret News, Salt Lake City
"Trés French, trés fascinating psychodrama."
‑ Jane Sumner, Dallas Morning News
"The film is about the relationships rather than about the outcome. And it sees those relationships, including that between the son and his wife, and the wife and the father, and between the two brothers, with incredible subtlety and acumen."
‑ Richard Nilsen, Arizona Republic
"Brilliantly and pitilessly dissects a father-son relationship that has deteriorated beyond dysfunction."
‑ Rob Thomas, Capital Times (Madison, WI)
"Sad, yet interesting."
‑ Cherryl Dawson and Leigh Ann Palone, TheMovieChicks.com
"It's a tour de force, written and directed so quietly that it's implosion rather than explosion you fear."
‑ Jean Lowerison, San Diego Metropolitan