Computer Chess
Computer Chess
Set over the course of a weekend tournament for chess software programmers thirty-some years ago, COMPUTER CHESS transports viewers to a nostalgic moment when the contest between technology and the human spirit seemed a little more up for grabs. We get to know the eccentric geniuses possessed of the vision to teach a metal box to defeat man, literally, at his own game, laying the groundwork for artificial intelligence as we know it and will come to know it in the future. (c) Official Site

"In the end, you simply wish the characters (and the actors) were in a more subtle and focused film. "Computer Chess" plays a risky game. Unfortunately, it loses."
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"It's impossible not to see "Computer Chess" as both a humble, low-fi ode to evanescence and the deceptively cute baby picture of the digital disrupters who will soon bestride the Earth."
‑ Ann Hornaday, Washington Post
"It's the type of film that introduces a type of funny that you didn't know existed, that isn't based in popular culture or punchlines or pratfalls or virtually anything that we've seen before."
‑ Landon Palmer, Film School Rejects
"Strange, hilarious and curiously moving."
‑ Will Leitch, Deadspin
"Think vintage found footage meets wilfully anachronistic dot matrix art. And then think way, way outside the box."
‑ Tara Brady, Irish Times
"A supremely intelligent, beautifully constructed film, interweaving comedy and character, satire and subtext"
‑ Tom Huddleston, Time Out
"A shambling, Altmanesque ensemble comedy."
‑ Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"Those weird elements don't take over the film, but they certainly make it a more delirious experience. It helps, though, that it's still grounded by real-feeling characters and an offbeat, low-key sense of humor."
‑ Dan Schindel, Movie Mezzanine
"As much as it is comedy, Computer Chess is also a treatise on isolation, social hierarchy and the crippling male fear of inadequacy"
‑ Tom Clift, Concrete Playground
"Odd, but in a good(ish) way."
‑ Mark Kermode, Observer [UK]
"A breakthrough -- not just for indie writer-director Andrew Bujalski, but for American movie comedy."
‑ Ben Sachs, Chicago Reader
"You need no particular knowledge or affection for the game of kings to appreciate the whimsy of "Computer Chess.""
‑ Betsy Sharkey, Los Angeles Times
"Might bore viewers like myself who are not chess or techie knowledgeable."
"I really don't know what to think of this movie. It did not do much for me. It was neither interesting nor compelling. A number of ideas are brought up, but I could not see that they go anywhere."
‑ Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope
"The code for the future has already been written - and as Bujalski seeks to discover who we are and where we come from (not just as wired-in 21st-century users but as human beings), it's checkmate in 12 hilariously unorthodox moves."
‑ Anton Bitel, Sight and Sound