Confucius
From the producer of Red Cliff and Warlords and shot in the same lavish style, Confucius stars superstar Chow Yun-Fat (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) as the legendary hero of the title: a man who lead the kingdom of Lu in battle against its warmongering neighbour, Qi. ~ Rovi

Subscription
Stream Now

"Chow Yun-fat fails to inspire as Chinese philosopher."
‑ Don Groves, sbs.com.au
"This ambitious biopic feels chopped down from something much longer, as it leaps through the story without giving us much to engage with."
‑ Rich Cline, Shadows on the Wall
"For its faults and excesses, Confucius may be the trickle that turns into a flood. Western audiences will learn to love it. They will have little choice."
‑ Tom Seymour, Little White Lies
""If the world will come to know me at all, it'll be because of this book," says Confucius (aka Kong Qiu or Zhong Ni) of his life's work, The Analects Of Confucius. Best not bother with the movie, then."
‑ , Total Film
"The narrative feels unfocused at times and the pace is changeable, but give it a chance and the presence of Chow Yun-Fat, at least, will win you over."
‑ Martin Roberts, Fan The Fire
"it celebrates the ethics of what would later become known as Confucianism, but also stages the mismatch between high ideals and realpolitik - as though to say that there was no place in China for China's greatest thinker."
‑ Anton Bitel, Film4
"The ancient Chinese philosopher, he say Chow Yun-Fat no good at playing him, no good at all, in this painfully dreary epic biopic."
‑ Tim Robey, Daily Telegraph
"Beautifully shot (by Crouching Tiger cameraman Peter Pau) and contains a magnetic central performance from the ever-charismatic Chow."
‑ Jeremy Aspinall, Radio Times
"Chow Yun-fat plays the philosopher with dignified aplomb; otherwise, we rely on action as much as words, and never learn enough about the man."
‑ Derek Malcolm, This is London
"A ponderous, underwhelming epic."
‑ , Daily Express
"Its constant bowing and scraping set my teeth on edge. Confucius loves Confucius -- endlessly and unconditionally -- and flatly demands that we do too."
‑ Xan Brooks, Guardian