Conte de Printemps (A Tale of Springtime)
Conte de Printemps (A Tale of Springtime)
French filmmaker Eric Rohmer begins his Tales of the Four Seasons series with A Tale of Springtime. Parisian philosophy teacher Jeanne (Anne Teyssedre) is temporarily without a place to stay as her cousin occupies her own home and she refuses to stay in her boyfriend's messy apartment while he is away. A young pianist, Natasha (Florence Darel), offers the use of her house and she accepts. After the two become friends, it is apparent there is a rivalry between Natasha and her father Igor's girlfriend, Eve. As Natasha's father drifts away from Eve, Natasha unwittingly finds herself… More

"Mr. Rohmer's films look like no one else's. They are direct and clean, the movie equivalent to prose that dispenses with adjectives and adverbs."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"French film aficionados might find something satisfying about this little film, but apart from a unique Gallic perspective on the relationships that are presented in the film, there is little to hold the viewer's interest."
‑ Jamie Gillies, Apollo Guide
"We can recognized the rhythms of real life, in which personal drama sometimes has to wait while we attend to routine duties."
"I am beginning to see how each of his films is a small piece of the one lifelong movie he's be cobbling all these years. And I am beginning to see how who I am at different points in my life affects my responses."
‑ Marjorie Baumgarten, Austin Chronicle
"A Tale of Springtime presents a rare and wonderful opportunity to discover a trio of multidimensional cinematic characters. Once you've been introduced, you won't want to be parted from them, whether or not Springtime ends."
‑ James Berardinelli, ReelViews
"While it's true that his characters sometimes over-explain their motivations, on the whole A Tale of Springtime is up to Rohmer's usual standard."
‑ Chris Hicks, Deseret News, Salt Lake City