Curling
Set on the fringe of society in a remote part of the countryside, Curling takes a keen look at the unusual private life of a father and his daughter. Between his unremarkable jobs, Jean-François (Emmanuel Bilodeau) devotes an awkward energy to Julyvonne (Philomène Bilodeau). The fragile balance of their relationship will be jeopardized by some bleak circumstances.(C) Big World Pictures

""Curling" is, in part, a film about secrets. Maybe we know what's going on, maybe we don't. That subtly unsettling ambiguity is yet another thing that makes this beguiling film so enticingly different."
‑ Jeff Shannon, Seattle Times
"Curling begins strongly, with visually striking imagery, but ultimately never reach the potential which is hinted at in the opening scenes."
‑ Rhett Bartlett, Dial M For Movies
"Their relationship may be fractious, abusive and negligent, but aside from the bizarre scenarios the [father and daughter] finds themselves in, it's not all that unusual. Most of all, it feels loving. And you always hurt the ones you love."
‑ Simon Miraudo, Quickflix
"If you're feeling particularly depressed and existential, this might pass as food for thought. Otherwise, it might be wiser to just plain pass."
‑ Jim Slotek, Jam! Movies
"A bleakly allusive look at frozen lives, "Curling'' is very much a specialty item - a movie that goes nowhere slowly."
‑ Ty Burr, Boston Globe
"A slow burn that respects the audience's literacy."
‑ Bill Chambers, Film Freak Central
"The director sets a mood that is at once bleak and yet teems with dark, wild impulses that range from the carnal to the murderous."
‑ Chris Cabin, Slant Magazine
"No fan of linear narrative, intent only on revealing things through a glass darkly, writer-director Denis Côté wants us to be puzzled. He succeeds rather too well."
‑ Rick Groen, Globe and Mail
"It remains a mysterious, open film, uncluttered by any of the reassuring revelations or explanations that might console us and allay our fear of anything really imaginary."
‑ Jean-Francois Rauger, Guardian
"Father and daughter confront their frozen emotions."
‑ Ron Wilkinson, Monsters and Critics