Death at a Funeral
Frank Oz's 2007 black comedy Death at a Funeral is given the remake treatment with an urban spin in this Chris Rock-produced production. When a dysfunctional clan reuintes to mourn the passing of the family patriarch, a respectful funeral quickly turns into an all-out fiasco marked by bitter resentment, blackmail attempts, and scandalous revelations. Dean Craig penned the script for director Neil LaBute (The Wicker Man), with Martin Lawrence, Tracy Morgan, and Danny Glover co-starring. ~ Jeremy Wheeler, Rovi

"Although it still only just gets away with sundry homophobic and size-ist gags, there's a tad more zing than the original, though if you caught that already, be warned: this is a scene-for-scene retread."
‑ Trevor Johnston, Time Out
"Rock's interventions can't compensate for excessive fealty to dumb gags."
‑ Melissa Anderson, L.A. Weekly
"What we end up with here is the most pointless remake since Gus Van Sant made his shot-for-shot remake of "Psycho" back in 1998."
‑ Jeff Beck, Examiner.com
"A little more tweaking for the actual actor's voices to come through, instead of trying to put them into pre-concieved places, may have worked better, but on the whole, it's still an excellent example of how the ensemble comedy should work."
‑ Joshua Starnes, ComingSoon.net
"It's almost a checklist of things I don't like, but it won me over in its opening minutes and never let go."
‑ Michael W. Phillips, Jr., Goatdog's Movies
"I like the cast."
‑ A.O. Scott, At the Movies
"So much sameness, yet so fewer laughs."
‑ Rick Groen, Globe and Mail
"A funny film, but it's not one that I found myself growing passionate about as I watched."
‑ James Plath, Movie Metropolis
"The only scene in which the audience noticeably reacted to the film's efforts to extract some belly laughs came in the depressingly derivative poo jokes."
‑ Mike Edwards, What Culture
"The component that stayed mostly the same is the writing, which is bad news to me, since my main beef with the original movie was exactly that."
‑ Jeffrey Chen, Window to the Movies
"I like this new one mainly because of the cast."
‑ Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune
"Think of Death at a Funeral as a comic quickie. As it presses buttons, a few laughs come out, but that's all there is to it."
‑ Stephen Holden, New York Times
"If the film is so close to the original as to also be pretty much disposable once its over, at least it as well serves up a healthy amount of laughs during its very brief and brisk run time."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"...a perfectly watchable piece of work..."
‑ David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews
"What will creatively-bankrupt Hollywood think of next?"
‑ Kam Williams, NewsBlaze