Dialogue avec mon jardinier (Conversations with My Gardener)
Dialogue avec mon jardinier (Conversations with My Gardener)
Two men find themselves sharing a lifetime of experiences and observations over the course of a summer in this low-key comedy-drama from France. After the death of his mother, an artist (Daniel Auteuil) well known for his nature studies inherits his family's vacation house in the country. The artist notices that the house's once-impressive vegetable garden has fallen into neglect, and he hires a local gardener to put it back into shape. To his great surprise, the gardener (Jean-Pierre Darroussin) turns out to be an old friend from his school days, and as the gardener gets to work, he… More

"Slight but very pleasant to sit through."
‑ David Jenkins, Time Out
"These are two very good actors and they do well to get over some shocking script cliches of the artistic variety as Auteuil earnestly instructs his old friend on the creative process."
‑ Cath Clarke, Guardian
"This is simply made, well acted and in the end movingly able to show us how two totally different men cleave to each other."
‑ Derek Malcolm, This is London
"Director Jean Becker and his cast and equally talented crew give us a simple and elegant masterpiece about the love shared by two friends."
‑ Robin Clifford, Reeling Reviews
"This two-hander may not take many formal risks but it remains a gentle, humane work that's beautifully acted by Auteuil and Darroussin."
‑ Tom Dawson, Film4
"Such life lessons could clearly seem maudlin and patronising. But director Jean Becker and his two excellent leads opt for understatement, and the film finally achieves a subtle triumph - a mood that is both celebratory and bittersweet."
‑ David Gritten, Daily Telegraph
"Engaging, beautifully acted and ultimately moving drama, though the pacing and general lack of plot are occasionally frustrating."
‑ Matthew Turner, ViewLondon
"An intimate, revealing and moving portrait of two men, the joys of Conversations With My Gardener lie in the exchanges between Daniel Auteuil's painter and Jean-Pierre Darroussin's gardener. It is a pleasure to watch two of the veterans of French Cinema a"
‑ Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile
"Conversations with My Gardener is an affectionate rural French character piece that is mercilessly devoid of any message other than an appreciation of close friendship and the simple rustic pleasures of kippers and fresh vegetables."
‑ Kevin Maher, Times [UK]
"A sweet-natured, truthful tale, this one is definitely a grower."
‑ Tim Evans, Sky Movies
"Two outstanding performances and marvelously written dialogue make "Conversations with my Gardener" so engrossing that the picture is well on its way before one recognizes its time worn formula."
‑ Laura Clifford, Reeling Reviews
"Anyone expecting huge explosions and frenetic car chases might be disappointed, but it will satisfy those looking for an intimate drama in which the conversation is at least a tad more sophisticated than "Letsgetoudahere!""
‑ Boyd van Hoeij, european-films.net