Diminished Capacity
Diminished Capacity
Author Sherwood Kiraly pens the screenplay adaptation of his own comedic novel concerning a man (Matthew Broderick) who gets amnesia after suffering a blow to the head and the road trip he embarks on with his Alzheimer's-afflicted uncle (Alan Alda) and high-school sweetheart (Virginia Madsen). Convinced that they will make a fortune by selling an ultra-rare baseball card at a high-profile memorabilia show, the trio sets out on the open road in search of adventure. Bobby Cannavale and Lois Smith co-star in the feature directorial debut of actor-turned-director Terry Kinney. ~ Jason… More

"Sherwood Kiraly's slight script only makes this embarrassment of riches seem more embarrassing."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"A mild pleasure from one end to the other, but not much more."
"It's quite easy: either go get a sedative and calm down, dear. Or see this gentle and frankly boring-as-hell movie."
‑ Victor Olliver, Teletext
"Suffering from a diminished level of interest, do we know how to live up to a title, or what?"
‑ Jules Brenner, Cinema Signals
"Although this is no 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', Matthew Broderick does return to Chicago for a wonderful, wacky little gem."
‑ Jeanne Kaplan, Kaplan vs. Kaplan
"Alda's Hawkeye Pierce charm gives way to something snappish and cagey, while Broderick's fussy stiffness is perfect."
‑ Kyle Smith, New York Post
"Striving for low-key character comedy, Diminished Capacity ends up diminishing its returns."
‑ Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune
"This Sundance hit is a sleeper surprise of the summer -- a one-of-a-kind original."
‑ Pete Hammond, Hollywood.com
"I wonder if all this worked better as a book. It begins modestly interesting, but becomes merely agitated."
‑ Frederica Mathewes-Green, Christianity Today
"There is some suspense as to the fate of that baseball card."
‑ David Kaplan, Kaplan vs. Kaplan
"The actors look as if they're having a reasonably fine time, but there's no sense of commitment here, no sense that this was a movie that absolutely, passionately had to be made."
‑ Manohla Dargis, New York Times
"It has moments of sweetness, but not enough poignancy or wit to turn it into the endearing art-house comedy that it aspires to be."
‑ Claudia Puig, USA Today
"A gentle, agreeable dramedy, Capacity reveals that Kinney has a unique hold on tone and shares a palpable charm with his actors."
‑ Brian Orndorf, BrianOrndorf.com
"Didn't we invent film festivals so we could sequester all the star-studded 'how I spent my summer vacation' indie film projects and keep them out of our arthouses?"
‑ Noel Murray, AV Club
"A slog through determined wackiness, it's apt to leave audiences cold."
‑ Amy Nicholson, Boxoffice Magazine