Divergent
DIVERGENT is a thrilling action-adventure film set in a world where people are divided into distinct factions based on human virtues. Tris Prior (Shailene Woodley) is warned she is Divergent and will never fit into any one group. When she discovers a conspiracy by a faction leader (Kate Winslet) to destroy all Divergents, Tris must learn to trust in the mysterious Four (Theo James) and together they must find out what makes being Divergent so dangerous before it's too late. Based on the best-selling book series by Veronica Roth. (C) Summit

"Barely diverting."
‑ Bruce Diones, New Yorker
"If you can forget what it's saying, Divergent is fairly entertaining."
‑ David Edelstein, Vulture
"Overall, this is a solid first-up effort for the Divergent franchise. Even though the film loses momentum in its final act as it sets up shop for next year's sequel, a majority of fans will be perfectly content with what has been achieved here."
‑ Leigh Paatsch, Herald Sun (Australia)
"Science fiction it may be, but the essence of the film is that timeless adolescent conundrum: who am I?"
‑ Ryan Gilbey, New Statesman
"The conflicts inherent in old-fashioned high school movies are accommodated, with bullying to stir the blood and romance to set the heart thumping. But Divergent's assimilation of all this fails to excite."
‑ Sandra Hall, Sydney Morning Herald
"It's all pretty dumb, and it marks a career low for director Neil Burger, who's made some first-class indie dramas from his own scripts."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"The performances -- namely from stars Shailene Woodley and Theo James and Kate Winslet in a juicy supporting role -- always make the movie watchable and often quite engaging."
‑ Christy Lemire, RogerEbert.com
"Yet another slice of post-content sci-fi schlock that relies on audiences over-looking huge story holes and a grand lack of pace in favour of design and a hot young cast...lame-brained."
‑ Jim Schembri, 3AW
"Really the film is so intent on setting things up for, presumably, subsequent films that it forgets to be entertaining and involving in its own right, I think, and so I found this going over my head. I wasn't really interested in all of this."
‑ David Stratton, At the Movies (Australia)
"Romance and self-realisation wrapped in violence now sell a whole lot of tickets. At least Divergent has more to ponder than most of the field."
‑ Paul Byrnes, Sydney Morning Herald
"The first film adapted from Veronica Roth's generically dystopian book series arrives with a sludgy, gray-hued plop."
‑ Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out New York
"Woodley is an obviously talented actress, a standout in The Descendants and The Spectacular Now but she's let down by the story surrounding her."
‑ Linda Barnard, Toronto Star
"If I had to join a faction, I'd be looking for one called Bafflement or Exasperation. After spending the best part of five hours watching Divergent and Only Lovers Left Alive, I understand why audiences are flocking to see the Muppets and The Lego Movie."
‑ Evan Williams, The Australian
"The director was Neil Burger who handles the action with aplomb."
‑ Margaret Pomeranz, At the Movies (Australia)
"It's all very Hunger Games Lite."
‑ Tom Glasson, Concrete Playground