Down with Love
Director Peyton Reed and screenwriters Eve Ahlert and Dennis Drake pay homage to the frothy romantic comedies of the early '60s -- in particular the Doris Day/Rock Hudson vehicles -- in this light-hearted and affectionate spoof. Barbara Novak (Renée Zellweger) is a sweet but savvy small-town librarian who has arrived in New York City with big plans to take on the town. Embracing a feminist philosophy years before it becomes common or fashionable, Novak writes a book called "Down With Love," in which she presents her theory that romantic relationships cause more problems than they… More

"I think it compares favorably with Pillow Talk and Lover Come Back in its well-timed gags and verbal dexterity."
‑ Andrew Sarris, New York Observer
"I love this film."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"Hilarious spoof on '60s comedies for mature 14+."
‑ Nell Minow, Common Sense Media
"Takes a creative concept and never knows how to handle it with a less than top-notch script and terrible delivery."
"As it is, 'Down With Love' seems forced, with the principals looking like youngsters dressing up and over-acting to impersonate grown-ups."
‑ Steve Crum, Kansas City Kansan
"After 10 minutes of getting poked in the ribs with every shot, I thought, 'Is it going to be like this for 90 minutes?'"
‑ David Edelstein, Slate
"This pitch-perfect imitation of a Rock Hudson-Doris Day nonsex comedy features Renee Zellweger, Ewan McGregor and a passel of visual delights. But why should we care?"
‑ Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com
"Director Peyton Reed keeps this fizzy comedy in an alluringly goofy tizzy from start to finish. This is undoubtedly the skillful battle-of-the-sexes laugher Rock Hudson and Doris Day would have made were they able to naughtily quip about bitches and hose."
‑ Nick Rogers, Suite101.com
"Zellweger and McGregor have only their dimpled cuteness to get them through this movie, which you sense, at least from their mugging, that they believe is enough. It isn't."
‑ Christopher Smith, Bangor Daily News (Maine)
"Bright and very funny... manages to recreate a filmmaking style that was practically a parody of itself in the first place."
‑ Jake Euker, F5 (Wichita, KS)
"We want to love it, but like a Rock Hudson rake, we keep finding fault in its allure. We want to hate it, but like Doris Day, we finally can't say no."
‑ Richard Corliss, TIME Magazine
"It's a cute premise, and several co-stars help keep the fun going for a while."
‑ Claudia Puig, USA Today
"While the movie definitely has tongue lodged firmly in its postmodern cheek, every detail looks and feels authentic."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"... as light, cheap, and ultimately as insubstantial as cotton candy. And yet, it inadvertently strikes some resonant chords."
‑ Jeffrey Overstreet, Looking Closer
"All artifice, so little art. Does this film have anything new to offer? If not, why bother?"
‑ Dan Jardine, Cinemania