Drive, He Said
In this convoluted drama, helmed by Jack Nicholson in his directorial debut, a long-haired college basketball star must decide whether or not he wants go professional or whether he wants to be a revolutionary with his roommate. While he makes his decision, he continues to have an affair with a professor's wife. His roommate occupies himself by trying to convince the draft board that he is insane. He does such a good job that he really does drive himself crazy.

"Jack Nicholson's first venture into direction is very much a film of its time."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader
"All of the film's characters, and all of the performances, are touched with the kind of unexpected sensibility and decency that are rare in most films of this genre."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"Nicholson's campus is a fractured, pulsating place"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"Ultimately, there's no theme here that isn't addressed more coherently and directly in a more conventional film like Five Easy Pieces."
‑ , Film4
"Nicholson deftly illustrates the background cynicism of big time sports against the more obvious cynicism of college life."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"A disorganized but occasionally brilliant movie about two college students and the world they, and we, inhabit."
"An ambitious but confused film about basketball, draft dodging and sleeping with professors' wives."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"No way can it be said to work, despite the cast's cultish distinction, but it still knocks most of its quasi-radical contemporaries sideways as an index of doomed '60s/'70s causes and confusions."
‑ , Time Out
"I think the film is a mess. Even though I was there where and when it was filmed, and I went through some of the same stuff these characters did, I couldn't relate to it."
‑ Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope
"Nicholson's personality comes through in the film's rhythms: crazed and vibrant at times, classical and refined at other times."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid