Drive, He Said
Jack Nicholson first put his well-documented enthusiasm for basketball to good use in this film, which he wrote and directed between his roles in Five Easy Pieces and Carnal Knowledge. William Tepper plays Hector, a student at a college in Ohio who shares a room with his friend Gabriel (Michael Margotta) and is the star player on the school's basketball team. Hector has been approached to quit college and play pro ball, but Gabriel is urging him to devote more time to radical political causes. Of course, both have plenty of other things on their mind; Hector is having a clandestine affair… More

"Jack Nicholson's first venture into direction is very much a film of its time."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader
"All of the film's characters, and all of the performances, are touched with the kind of unexpected sensibility and decency that are rare in most films of this genre."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"Nicholson's campus is a fractured, pulsating place"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"Ultimately, there's no theme here that isn't addressed more coherently and directly in a more conventional film like Five Easy Pieces."
‑ , Film4
"Nicholson deftly illustrates the background cynicism of big time sports against the more obvious cynicism of college life."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"A disorganized but occasionally brilliant movie about two college students and the world they, and we, inhabit."
"An ambitious but confused film about basketball, draft dodging and sleeping with professors' wives."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"No way can it be said to work, despite the cast's cultish distinction, but it still knocks most of its quasi-radical contemporaries sideways as an index of doomed '60s/'70s causes and confusions."
‑ , Time Out
"I think the film is a mess. Even though I was there where and when it was filmed, and I went through some of the same stuff these characters did, I couldn't relate to it."
‑ Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope
"Nicholson's personality comes through in the film's rhythms: crazed and vibrant at times, classical and refined at other times."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid