DrÝmmen (We Shall Overcome)
Danish director Niels Arden Oplev helmed and co-scripted (with Steen Bille) the gritty, revisionist coming-of-age tale We Shall Overcome - the story of a young boy's crusade against tyrannical oppression, and the thematic and temporal intersection of his experiences with the American Civil Rights movement. The story opens in the Danish countryside of 1969, when Peder Johansen (Jens Jorn Spottag), the father of 13-year-old Frits (Janus Dissing Rathke) experiences a psychotic breakdown and is promptly dragged off to a mental hospital. Frits spends the following summer watching the… More

"It's enjoyably rousing, and cinematographer Lars Vestergard works miracles turning the Danish countryside into bright slices of Americana."
‑ Nick Funnell, Time Out
"A kids' empowerment picture with a big and genuine punch. ... I'm sure you'll be bursting into loud applause as the ending credits roll, just as our packed audience did."
‑ Steve Rhodes, Internet Reviews
"[C]ertainly not unique, but with its strong acting (including an exceptional Rathke), fresh camera-work and great sense of humour, Oplev's film is certainly a welcome addition to the canon."
‑ Boyd van Hoeij, european-films.net
"Buoyed by likeable characters and the ever-dependable super teacher construct, We Shall Overcome builds into a better-than-solid underdog story."
‑ Ryan Cracknell, Calgary Movies
"Lacks the charisma or the ingenuity to hook mainstream audiences."
‑ David Parkinson, Empire Magazine
"Sometimes it's not what you say but the way that you say it that counts. That's certainly the case with this charming and beautifully acted Danish drama."
‑ Amber Wilkinson, Eye for Film
"We Shall Overcome is a well-made, refreshingly unsentimental fable, reminiscent of Dead Poets Society and 2005 Swedish potboiler Evil."
‑ Neil Smith, BBC.com