Duplicity
Closer co-stars Julia Roberts and Clive Owen reunite for Oscar-nominated director Tony Gilroy's drama tracing the illicit love affair between two spies-turned-corporate operatives. The Cold War has thawed, and for CIA agents seeking to make an easy mint, the real money is in multinational corporations. CIA officer Claire Stenwick (Roberts) and Ray Koval (Owen) are both racing to secure the formula for a product that will bring untold wealth to the company that lands the patent first as the stakes begin to rise, and their passions start to flare. Meanwhile, their mutual employers, industry… More

"When it comes to spy thrillers, Tony Gilroy knows the game."
‑ James Berardinelli, ReelViews
"Duplicity is an enormously enjoyable hybrid, a romantic comedy set at the center of a caper movie."
‑ David Denby, New Yorker
"I'm sure if I saw it a second time, I'd find the little hints Gilroy plants throughout particularly delicious. But why bother? It didn't exactly grab me by the neck the first time."
‑ Will Leitch, Deadspin
"It might be saying something that I preferred to see [Giamatti and Wilkinson] in action than the two actual leads of the film."
‑ Jeffrey Chen, Window to the Movies
"The film's greatest pleasure is in the snappy dialogue Gilroy crafts for the capable duo of Roberts and Owen... [Blu-ray]"
‑ Peter Canavese, Groucho Reviews
"With Duplicity [Gilroy is] developing a nice body of work."
‑ Ben Lyons, At the Movies
"It's a passably amusing brainteaser."
‑ David Edelstein, New York Magazine/Vulture
"Julia Roberts and Clive Owen are reunited for the first time since Closer, and they're a messed up couple again. But this time they're secret agents, which is cooler."
‑ Mike Edwards, What Culture
"Duplicity features the sort of story screenwriters dream of crafting in order to show off their aptitude."
‑ Sonny Bunch, Washington Times
"You gotta be flawless to tell a story out of sequence. This ain't no Memento. God, Julia is getting old."
‑ Paul Chambers, CNNRadio
"Gilroy keeps it all moving at a steady, stylish pace."
‑ Ben Mankiewicz, At the Movies
"For all the glam and swank, the film is essentially a bright, shiny, empty puzzle. The puzzlemaking by writer-director Tony Gilroy is clever but most frequently an end in itself."
‑ Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor
"When it comes to sorting out where we stand with someone, we're all spies. Tony Gilroy realizes that romance done right involves invigorating risk, and "Duplicity" offers a bracing, beguiling shell game of behavior to complement the light shenanigans."
‑ Nick Rogers, Suite101.com
"The results are mistimed and misshapen, like Lubitsch after a vasectomy"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"It's not unfair to say that Duplicity is Michael Clayton on laughing gas. What's remarkable is that both movies pretty much work."
‑ Jordan Hoffman, UGO