Eagle vs. Shark
Two lonely misfits embark on a bizarre journey of romance and revenge after bonding at a "come as your favorite animal" costume party in Academy Award nominee Taika Waititi's quirky romantic comedy. Jarrod (Jemaine Clement) is a clerk at the local electronics store. Lily (Loren Horsley) is a shy cashier who earns her keep at the local Meaty Boy. After getting fired from her job, an emboldened Lily determines to put on her favorite shark costume, shed her inhibitions, and attend Jarrod's annual "come as your favorite" animal bash. In the following days, a tentative… More

"Daft, sweet, awkward and amusingly rude."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Yes, the nerdy loser thing has been done to death, but writer-director Taika Cohen brings surprising depth to this film...Napoleon Dynamite dreams of being this movie."
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"As likeable as the movie was, I just didn't find it as funny as I thought I would."
‑ Heather Huntington, ReelzChannel.com
"Off-planet strangeness with a captivation factor."
‑ Jules Brenner, Cinema Signals
"a fun little quirky movie but to similar to another curtain quirky movie.."
‑ Stefan Birgir Stefansson, sbs.is
"The movie's idea of funny is giving the two lovers identical moles bordering their upper lips."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"So the only real argument I can make for Eagle vs. Shark, a stupid-absurdist comedy from New Zealand, is that I laughed a lot, often despite myself, and that while I might not be able to wholly justify it, I can mount a questionable defense."
‑ Terry Lawson, Detroit Free Press
"The strength of Eagle vs Shark lies in its unconventional story with unconventional leads."
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures
"Romantic comedy about two lonely people who find each other while orbiting on the outer fringes of society reminded me of 'Napoleon Dynamite.'"
‑ Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope
"A hit and miss little film with a forced sense of eccentricity that falls flat, but is otherwise saved by hilarious one-liners..."
"Eagle vs. Shark feels like a low-budget, foreign cousin to Napolean Dynamite, less polished and sly. But it's definitely in the same family, lulling us into friendly acceptance with its persuasively silly rhythm and deceptively big heart."
‑ Connie Ogle, Miami Herald
"I think this film was already made, and it was called Napoleon Dynamite."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"As stylistically and thematically quirky as one might've anticipated..."
‑ David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews
"...mostly tedious and depressing, its eighty-eight minutes going by in about eight hours."
‑ John J. Puccio, Movie Metropolis
"A paean film to lonely misfits that follows along the same tracks as "Napoleon Dynamite," and relies entirely on being a charmer."