Elephant Walk
Elephant Walk was several weeks into production when the film's original leading lady, Vivien Leigh, was replaced by Elizabeth Taylor (you can still see Leigh in a few long shots). Based on a novel by Robert Standish, the film casts Taylor as Ruth Wiley, the new bride of solemn plantation owner John Wiley (Peter Finch). At first thrilled at the prospect of living in the wilds of Ceylon, Ruth rapidly becomes a beautiful bird in a gilded cage. When American overseer Dick Carver (Dana Andrews) arrives on the scene, Ruth falls in love. Before she can leave her husband, though, the region is… More

Buy SD $9.99 Rent SD $2.99
- -

"Elephant Walk, though hardly a work of art, is an astonishingly neat feat of manufacture."
‑ , TIME Magazine
"I was 11 when I saw William Dieterle's 1954 adaptation of the Robert Standish novel Elephant Walk... and I loved it, though I don't know what I'd think today."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"Until the elephants actually stampede the palace, this Liz Taylor vehicle is pretty talky drama."
‑ Steve Crum, Video-Reviewmaster.com
"Robert Standish's novel about life among the pekoe-planters rates a sprawling script and direction that lacks attention-holding pace from William Dieterle."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"Delirious mixture of romance and melodrama, with gorgeous location shooting."
‑ Michael E. Grost, Classic Film and Television
"Nothing more than a mundane soap opera melodrama."
"Unfortunately, the script that John Lee Mahin prepared from the Robert Standish book is lengthy and hackneyed in the build-up, and William Dieterle's direction does not provide anything more than gaudy panoramas of a tropical palace to fascinate the eye."
‑ Bosley Crowther, New York Times
"The lush Griggs cinematography and rich Waxman score enhance an otherwise lightweight movie."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide