Empire of the Ants
In the '50s, Bert I. Gordon made a career out of sci-fi movies about gigantic mutated insects (Beginning of the End, Earth vs. the Spider), lizards (King Dinosaur, Serpent Island), and even people (The Amazing Colossal Man), and in 1977, he was still up to his old tricks with this picture, loosely adapted from a story by H.G. Wells. Marilyn Fryser (Joan Collins) is a less than scrupulous businesswoman who is trying to sell shares in a worthless Florida housing development to a group of naive souls. However, both Marilyn and her potential customers have bigger things to worry about than low… More

Buy SD $9.99 Rent SD $2.99
- -

"Periodic moments of good special effects are separated by reels of dramatic banality as players flounder in flimsy dialog and under sluggish direction."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"Laughable exploitation film results in a complete waste of time and talent."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Bert I. Gordon makes ant crap out of an H.G. Wells short story he loosely adapted to the big screen."
"Bring on the DDT. A silly giant-bug opus with cheap special effects."
‑ Bob Bloom, Journal and Courier (Lafayette, IN)
"It's all drastically boring."
‑ , Time Out
"One of those movies that's a nailbiter for a little kid, but laughable when revisted as an adult."
‑ Chuck O'Leary, Fantastica Daily
"Cheap special effects and nonexistent horror in a 'horror' flick make for one boring waste of celluloid."
‑ Frank Wilkins, ReelTalk Movie Reviews
"What's scarier: ants or Bert I. Gordon movies?"
‑ Scott Weinberg, eFilmCritic.com
"The movie swarmed into local theaters yesterday; unfortunately, the insects and the people in this mélange of ersatz science-fiction and dull adventure deserve one another."
‑ A.H. Weiler, New York Times
"Teaming Collins with ants is pure Bert I. Gordon."
‑ Steve Crum, Kansas City Kansan
"We interrupt this soap opera to bring you... a monster movie!"
‑ Christopher Null, Filmcritic.com
"If you find it when you are flipping through channels at three in the morning, turn it off and try to get some sleep."
‑ Jamie Gillies, Apollo Guide